Call Centers

There are quite a few call centers here where I live. Well, I have a BA in Communications and experience as a receptionist. I have been looking for a full-time job for a year and a half now and have had interviews at call centers and keep getting the response that I don't have any call center experience. I mean how hard can it be? I'm a fast learner and have degree in COMMUNICATIONS! I don't see why I have to have call center experience. Its frustrating b/c everyone that I've met or known to work there only have a high school diploma or some college experience. I mean how am I suppose to get experience if I don't get hired to have any?!?!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:35 PM on Jan. 20, 2010 in Money & Work

• Perhaps when you are told this, you should answer with what you said right here.
    Anonymous

• I can say from my call center experience that it doesn't take much more than patience and a pleasant voice to work in one. You should respond to the interviewers just the way you did here, asking for a chance to get the experience. I will say that being a B-TSR (they called me a bilingual telephone service representative) was probably the worst job I've had in my life though. Nobody calls customer service when they are happy, so I spent hours each day getting yelled at by strangers for things I had zero control over. There were nice people occasionally, but it was just a frustrating job for me.
    raybird1031

Answer by raybird1031 at 2:44 PM on Jan. 20, 2010