Is my daughter too old to talk like that?

My daughter is 6 in April and she can't pronounce the letter "S" yet. She pronounces it as a "TH". For instance, instead of saying "seriously" she says "theriouthly".
Do I need to check with a dr or is it normal? I don't have any older kids so I don't really know...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:36 PM on Jan. 20, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Speech Therapy is what she needs.
    Anonymous

• I would send her to a speech theripst. My daughter had some speech issues and 1) kids teased 2) it made it harder to learn to read.
    Anonymous

• My Dd does the same thing. Bur also had speech delay and has a harder time pronoucning certain letters. Which is common for children that have speech delay. When she says it wrong. Say it to her and help her try to say the "s" sound. That is what we have to do with our Dd.
    Raeann11

Answer by Raeann11 at 2:38 PM on Jan. 20, 2010

• I know a few kids who still have speech problems like that around 6-8 years old, and there are usually programs through school that can put them in touch with a Speech Pathologist who can help. You can ask her doctor if you'd like to get a referral for a hearing test, or have her checked to see if her teeth and jaw are developing normally.
    Anonymous

• Yes i agree speech therpy is what you need to get her into and I am wondering why the school hasn't brought this to your attention as of yet the school year is just about half over.
    Anonymous

• Just keep praticing with her with that sound my 6 yr. old went through the same thing only her's was with the letter L she would pronounce as a Y example: I like you she would say I yike you or yove you...she is going to be 7 in May she is just fine learning all her sounds already so don't worry it is just a phase you'd know if it were something really serious a mommy hunch I guess. GL
    Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 2:39 PM on Jan. 20, 2010

• You can ask the school to do a speech evaluation. If there is a problem she will get free speech therapy at school. If the problem isn't too bad the therapist will tell you how to help your daughter.

She may be doing something called lateralized s. You might try searching that on google. My son had problems with that and there are easy things you can do with a straw to help.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 2:41 PM on Jan. 20, 2010

• I wouldn't worry. I would check with a speech therapist but I don't think it's a big deal. My daughter had the same problem with the letter R. She used to pronounce it like Y. eg. Yacket instead of racket. I took her to a speech therapist when she was 6 and he told me she's ok and I just need to correct her in a nice way when she does it and reward her when she tries to get it right.
    Anonymous

• I did that too. I went to Speech in school. I would call the principal and ask about it.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:50 PM on Jan. 20, 2010

• it is pretty normal I know they don't even do a speech eval until 6 for the s.
    mom2snsb

Answer by mom2snsb at 3:01 PM on Jan. 20, 2010