Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Im in college but I have no idea what I want to do.

when I was married and had the home paid for I wanted to be a ultra-sound tech, but now Im a single mom of two with no help from anyone.. Im interest in the medical field, psychology, maybe college professor.. Ive read a hundred books and I still cant figure out what I want to do! I need a job that isnt too stressful because Im also bipolar... so what I want is a good job that will allow me to provide for my children and something that isnt too stressful,..

Answer Question

Asked by mommy0217 at 2:50 PM on Jan. 20, 2010 in

Level 1 (0 Credits)
Answers (10)
  • no cuch thing as a job that will provide well for your children AND not stressful.... sorry to say but its true

    Answer by Anonymous at 2:54 PM on Jan. 20, 2010

  • If I were you, I'd go to the career counselor at your college or an academic advisor and try to get some advice. I'd also concentrate on taking 'entry-level' courses in different fields. But be careful, b/c most jobs are nothing like the schooling you get for them. Just because you like a class doesn't mean you'll like the job.

    Answer by danielp at 2:54 PM on Jan. 20, 2010

  • *no such thing... sorry - stupid keyboard acting up :)

    Answer by Anonymous at 2:55 PM on Jan. 20, 2010

  • If you do what you love, you'll love what you do. Explore your passions, what are you passionate about, make a list, then explore careers involving those things. There are a lot of jobs you wouldnt even know exist.

    Answer by dharmagirl at 3:04 PM on Jan. 20, 2010

  • What is bad about universities is that almost all degrees prepare you to do absolutly nothing. Community colleges are more career oriented and are cheaper. If you are just starting out you may want to try a community college 2 year degree.

    Years ago I got a 2 year degree as a medical lab tech. Then as I got more college credits and experience working I was able to take the exam so I was the same as a 4 year medical lab technologist. I went on to get 2 master's degrees and then doctoral studies.

    If you want to be a professor plan on getting your doctorate. If you have a master's the pay is horrible. It is very stressful getting a doctorate and I would not suggest it without support, counseling and drugs. I have a 21 year old son that has bipolar disorder that was diagnosed at 11.

    Ultra-sound tech would be good. You could go to a 2 year x-ray program at a community college first then get your BA in anything.

    Answer by Gailll at 3:13 PM on Jan. 20, 2010

  • Don't pay a lot and go to for profit schools. You may not be able to get a job or be able to get into grad school.

    Any of the allied health fields are good and most have 2 year programs. OT and PT assistants are well paid. If you want to go on in those fields you now have to have a master's. One of my sons is a RN and he was very well paid but he found it stressful and he is back in college fulltime and may never go back to nursing unless he teaches nursing. There are lots of different kinds of jobs in nursing. Nursing school is stressful.

    There should be people you can talk to at your school either in a career center or counseling center. The community college where my youngest is going has a course about careers. I know it's tough to have no help, I did it with 3 sons and they are all grown up now.

    Answer by Gailll at 3:19 PM on Jan. 20, 2010

  • Accounting...

    Answer by rkoloms at 7:38 PM on Jan. 20, 2010

  • Well any job will have some stress related to it. I am in school for xray tech and been a CNA since age 19 and know the medical profession tends to more stressful due to actual lives of sick people BUT I think if I was you I would go to your local community college research what programs they offer and see a career counsler that you can talk to. This is what I did when I was confused about what to do! LOL I highly suggest community college because they are cheap and offer a great education.

    Answer by hill2 at 10:03 PM on Jan. 20, 2010

  • I did career counseling and they did the Myer's Briggs test, and the Smart Test for me. It looks at your personality and your interests and what kind of career would work for you.

    Answer by Lovey1234 at 11:26 AM on Jan. 21, 2010

  • I got my associates degree in pharmaceutical biotechnology from the local community college. Around here it starts around 40K/year, which isn't great but it's a decent salary for this area. You can do the same job(s) working for pharmaceutical companies and actually move up with a chemistry or biology degree - pay generally starts in the 50s and you can rise through the company. Just a thought - it's "related" to the medical field but wouldn't take a really long time to get your AS or your BS.

    Answer by missanc at 1:32 PM on Jan. 21, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.