Am I the only one that still dresses their 4 year old?

The only reason that I usually end up doing it is because we are usually in a hurry to get somewhere & I end up doing it because it goes a lot faster. I keep telling myself that she has to do it from now on, but it hasn't happened yet!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:56 PM on Jan. 20, 2010 in General Parenting

• No I do, and I am sure they have plenty of time to figure it out....why the rush. I already feel sad that she is 4!!!!

She can, but it takes her forever and she usually has something on backwards...lol. She will get it, and when she does I will be happy for her ;) But till then I will be mom and help her ;)
    Anonymous

• I do it for my son on occasion but he likes to do it himself now. Of course that means having to talk him out of wearing the same transformers shirt he has been wearing for the last 3 days but oh well!
    Anonymous

• Have her get dressed as soon as she gets up. Get up in plenty of time for her to do this. I understand exactly what you are saying, I used to do this with my oldest. It did not happen until I made up my mind to make it happen. I also left the room and let her do it on her own because I was tempted to step in.
    Anonymous

• I always dress him. He can take off his clothes, but I do that for him too. We are usually in a hurry.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:04 PM on Jan. 20, 2010

• If we aren't pressed for time, she dresses herself, but there is usually a big fight about what she can wear to school. Her teachers are not able to help with potty trips, so they have requested no tights or complicated buttons or buckles, so of course that's what she wants to wear everyday. Once she finally decides on what she will wear (we have tried to pick stuff the night before but she always changes her mind and throws a fit), she is perfectly capable of putting everything on, but it's just a question of whether she's willing and how long it will take.
    raybird1031

Answer by raybird1031 at 3:20 PM on Jan. 20, 2010

• Well, it's not as if she's a teenager or something...it's ok that you still dress her. Just be sure that when you aren't pressed for time, she is capable of dressing herself-ie, can she put her shirt and pants on by herself?

These toddler/preschool years go by so fast...don't feel the need to "grow up" your child just because others feel you have to. THEY are the ones who are missing out, not you.
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 3:43 PM on Jan. 20, 2010

• I pick out his clothes (he's a boy and can't exactly match. lol!) but he actually dresses himself. I believe he's been doing that for almost a year now. He still has a difficult time with snaps though, but he has learned how to even zip up his coat!
    things_not_sane

Answer by things_not_sane at 3:44 PM on Jan. 20, 2010

• My son picks out his own clothes and mainly dresses himself. I encourage this and loves doing it! Heck when we buy new shoes he picks out ones he likes. My son likes independence and therefore naturally wants to do everything by himself.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 3:56 PM on Jan. 20, 2010

• I don't think I've dressed any of my kids since they were 2 1/2, 3 at the latest. My youngest is almost 4 and the only thing I do for her is buttons on shirts and occasionally her pants (usually she keeps her pants buttoned/zipped but sometimes they come undone). She can otherwise get herself ready and does it in a few minutes including socks and shoes (which she has been putting on herself since she was 2). She gets her coat and hat on, too. She just can't zip it up yet. She can do the big buttons on her favorite sweater (they are about an inch in diameter).
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 4:33 PM on Jan. 20, 2010

• A four year old should be able (for the most part) to dress themselves. That said, IMHO, as long as he/she can do it, there is no problem. My four year old is Autistic, and makes a huge hassle every day about getting dressed. He can dress himself. He has before, especially when it is the chipmunks clothing. I test him sometimes to be sure he is not losing skills (Autism thing). But he knows how, so If I dress him sometimes, I dont think anything of it. My 3 year old is lazy. He stripps just fine, but is showing no interest in ever trying to get dressed. Of course, he loves being naked. I dont know if they should know how to get dresses at 3 or not though.,..
    silks_bunny

Answer by silks_bunny at 4:35 PM on Jan. 20, 2010