My 9 month old child wont eat baby food but prefers people food? Is that normal for a 9 month old?

She still drinks a bottle at night but she drinks 2 8 ounce bottles. She loves chicken, pork, beef and ham and veggies that arent in baby food form. Is that okay to give her at 9 months

CuddleBug09

Asked by CuddleBug09 at 3:17 PM on Jan. 20, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Yep! My son quit baby food at that age.
    LyTe684

Answer by LyTe684 at 3:18 PM on Jan. 20, 2010

• Sure. Just make sure it's cut up small enough for her, she can chew and swallow well, and sit up. Always supervise her eating.
    Anonymous

• A lot of people don't realize this, but jarred baby food was "invented" as a convenience food (around the time of disposable diapers, I believe). It isn't really all that healthy, either. You are much better off cooking for your babies and giving them "real" food (vs. what I call fake food)
    Anonymous

• Yes, it's totally fine. My son started eating table foods before 8 months.
    TattooedMommy04

Answer by TattooedMommy04 at 3:21 PM on Jan. 20, 2010

• OMG - My almost 9 month old is doing the same thing! Actually turning her head away from baby food...
    chefronswife

Answer by chefronswife at 3:22 PM on Jan. 20, 2010

• Have you tasted jarred baby food? I wouldn't want to eat it either if everyone else had something way better. As long as you generally eat healthy stuff, give him the same things you have (as long as it's cut small and it's easy enough to chew like someone else said). I made most of the baby food my girls ate, either in a food processor or blender, or just by dicing or mashing whatever we had for dinner.
    raybird1031

Answer by raybird1031 at 3:26 PM on Jan. 20, 2010

• would YOU eat jar food? yuck
    charisma10

Answer by charisma10 at 3:33 PM on Jan. 20, 2010

• My son NEVER ate "baby food." We tried rice cereal and baby oats, when he turned both down many times, we just gave up and fed him what we were having. Veggies and fruit can be pureed, meats shredded, and pastas and such cooked a little longer than for the adults. Jarred baby food is just one more convenience food I refuse to buy.
    eema.gray

Answer by eema.gray at 3:40 PM on Jan. 20, 2010

• <---- I am in the same boat here! lol. My baby girl would NOT and will NOT open her mouth to baby food for nothing! lol. She's 11 months old now and I pretty much cut up whatever were having and give her that to eat. In the beginning, I gave her cheerios, rice cakes,cut up avacodo, cottage cheese,shredded cheese....etc...till she got used to picking up food,putting it in her mouth, cheweing and swallowing it. But one difference though...she does still take bottles of formula in between. She drinks about 2-3 6 oz bottles during the day and an 8 oz bottle at night.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 4:11 PM on Jan. 20, 2010

• Yes. My son went completely to table food at 8 months. He ate whatever we were having for meals, mashed or diced.

Answer by missanc at 4:47 PM on Jan. 20, 2010