Should I get my daughter checked for epilepsy?

Ever since my daughter was an infant she's had hand spasms, she's five now and still continues to have random spasms - she's even broken some toys because while she's holding the toy the spasms will come and she shakes it so hard it eventually breaks. The spasms last anywhere from a few seconds to nearly a full minute, she doesn't seem to be even slightly distracted by it. She'll stand perfectly still when the come but as soon as her hands are still she continues with whatever it was she was doing. She has also always had a compulsion to hop, her toes stay on the floor but she will hop up and down while watching TV or standing around the house for long periods of time and though I don't suspect it to be related she has also done this since she was able to sit up on her own. My ex-husband's father has also had the hand spasms all his life and was recently told it was due to epilepsy.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:28 PM on Jan. 20, 2010 in Health

• Absolutely. Take her to the regular pediatician and ask for a consultation with a neurologist. Might be epilepsy, might not, but they are definitely in the know in an attempt to help you. I was not born with epilepsy, but do have a seizure disorder that is a result from a head injury at age 9. I have had seizures similar to what you describe, as well as far worse. You will want to know what is going on for sure before she gets older and wants to do certain activities that may be harmful if they do end up being seizures that she is experiencing. Know that if they are seizures there are many treatments and medications these days that can help so much.
    Anonymous

• it doesn't sound like epilepsy but definitely talk to a dr and try to get in to see a neurologist.

hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 3:41 PM on Jan. 20, 2010

• Yes, my son had that when he waas born. When my mom took him to his 2 month check up he had one. I had only been back to work for 4 days but left so the dr could preform an eeg. My uncle and a couple of my cousins have seizures, so they wanted to rule it out. They did the eeg and it was fine now he no longer has spasms. The dr told me he'd out grow them, given my son is only 5.5 months. Since your daughter still has them I would take her to the dr and explain what is going on and ask them to do an eeg. It wasn't even that bad, I got to sit and hold my son while they glued probles to his head and held him while they did the tests. GL
    jombmomi

Answer by jombmomi at 3:42 PM on Jan. 20, 2010

• The thing about epilepsy hypermamaz is this....there are many types of seizures, some include only spasms. So without further testing it is truly impossible to know for certain just by description of the spasms.
    Anonymous

• I would definitely have her checked, but be warned that this is not some easy blood test. The tests, though often non-invasive, can take days of hospitalization as they would like to see a seizure happen. The good news... there are great meds out there, and other awesome advances in treatments. Don't be too scared to advocate for your child if you know or suspect something is wrong. Good luck! Hope she gets the treatment she needs to get better and live a happy healthy life!
    rebemomma

Answer by rebemomma at 6:27 PM on Jan. 20, 2010