Is it really true that getting sick as babies builds immune systems?

I send my child to daycare (she's gone full-time since she was 11 weeks) and at 10 mos. she gets sick a lot. But she gets sick even when not at daycare, too, pretty much anytime she's expose to new enviornments or when we travel. It's nothing too bad, just small colds or runny nose. Is it actually true that this is 'building up her immune system?" For parents of kids who got sick a lot, was it true that they were stronger once they were in school?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:35 PM on Jan. 20, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Yes.
    LyTe684

Answer by LyTe684 at 3:36 PM on Jan. 20, 2010

• Yes.
    Anonymous

• Yes
    Raeann11

Answer by Raeann11 at 3:38 PM on Jan. 20, 2010

• It makes sense because you can never catch the same cold twice. The more she gets sick now, the less she will when she gets older. My friend's dh is a SAHD and their son is rarely exposed to other children and has never been sick. Her doctor told her that she's going to be hating life when she finally puts him in a daycare or school. I don't think that means to have "parties" to expose your child to different viruses and bacteria, lol, but your child's immune system does get stronger by being exposed to things and learning to fight them off.
    nicolemstacy

Answer by nicolemstacy at 3:39 PM on Jan. 20, 2010

• yes this is true! but it's still a good idea to prevent getting sick in the first place...thats common sense though :)
    Anonymous

• Maybe. But that doesn't mean it is good for babies to be sick.

Babies are supposed to be having maximum brain growth and it is a time of explosive development. If they are sick a lot it will affect them for their whole lives. I was just reading a book that was talking about how experts can tell by looking at bones (after a person dies) if a person was sick a lot as a child. You want your baby and toddler to be happy and to have the best hearing possible as a toddler.

Babies are born with weak immune systems. Weak immune systems can't built up much immunity. Babies are supposed to be protected from infection because they are with their moms, the mom is exposed to the same thing, immune globulin A and other factors in the breastmilk go to the baby and give the baby passive immunity.

So babies may build no immunity at all or it may not last long.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 3:43 PM on Jan. 20, 2010

• My children and I have a genetic immune deficiency disease. My son got a job at a hospital and they tested him to make sure he had immunity to rubella. His blood test showed he didn't and he told them he couln't make immunity since he has immune deficiencies. They gave him a shot and retested and did the shot 3 times and no immunity before they gave up.

If you have a weak immune system you just don't build immunity. That's one of the reasons they give kids shots over and over again. They have weak immune systems. There is no advantage for a baby or toddler to being sick. They need to be healthy and moving and developing language.

Age 7 tends to be an age when kids seem to start being able to handle illness better. Age 12 is the next big age change when kids are healthier.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 3:52 PM on Jan. 20, 2010

• Gailll, that is not every case though. Of course there are exceptions, but for the most part, it is true. May not be in your case, that I understand....

LyTe684

Answer by LyTe684 at 3:54 PM on Jan. 20, 2010

• Yes
    Candi1024

Answer by Candi1024 at 4:15 PM on Jan. 20, 2010

• kids should be able to stay healthy, being sick earlier doesn't mean they aren't going to get sick later. If that's the theory, then let's hope they all get sick before age 20 so they'll be healthy at age 40.
    whiteroses82

Answer by whiteroses82 at 6:03 PM on Jan. 20, 2010