I need you HONEST opinion! What would be best for my 19 month old?

Ok, here's the deal: I live on the east coast. I'm flying with my 19 month old to the west coast.

My daughter usually goes to bed at 7pm.

I was thinking about taking a flight that leaves at 7:30pm. It gets to Chicago at 9:00pm, then leaves for the west coast at 10pm.

Do you think it would be easy to fly at that time? I'm just wondering if layover and the plane transfer will leave me with a wide awake baby? Or do you think she'll sleep ok?

My other option is 6am, but I would have to wake her up by 4am so we could get to the airport.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:40 PM on Jan. 20, 2010 in General Parenting

• I would travel at night. I flew from Hawaii to Virginia at night with a 2 year old and it worked perfectly. I think flying in the morning will prep you for a whole day of confusion and stress. At least with flying at night the airplane's lights will be dim and able to give her cues that it is sleep time. GL and have fun on your trip! :)
    katie23

Answer by katie23 at 3:46 PM on Jan. 20, 2010

• get a wrap - and wear her. being close to mom and against your chest and comfy should help her sleep. when I wore my youngest in the wrap (out hiking and walking and everywhere) at naptime she'd snuggle in and sleep well.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 3:42 PM on Jan. 20, 2010

• I would take the 7:30 one...whether she wakes up or not it will be easier than doing it so early in the morning
    BlainesMommy09

Answer by BlainesMommy09 at 3:43 PM on Jan. 20, 2010

• leave her in her pjs, theres ur answer. she's gonna fall asleep on the way to the airport, in the plane n whenever it gets too boring.they're unpredictable. i was just like u once always timing every minute she was asleep. just let it go, let her sleep whenever, try to keep her with her regular schedule just dont freak out when she wakes up. bring snacks N CRAYONS.
    fefe87

Answer by fefe87 at 3:44 PM on Jan. 20, 2010

• I'll be honest with you. There is no way to predict what will happen. Just do your best.
    Anonymous

• I think no matter what time your flight leaves, the excitment and stress of travelling might make for a cranky toddler. If you can start changing her schedule just slightly each day prior to the trip, maybe she will be used to a later bed time and a longer nap until you are back from your trip.
    Anonymous

• It just depends on the child. Is she a good morning person, or better at night? With my first, I would have picked the morning one because he's so awesome in the mornings but is horrible when he's tired and not in bed. With my second I would have picked the night one because she's such a good sleeper in general but would not have done well early in the morning. With my third... umm... I'd probably say the night one too. I think you are better off going with the night one because at least you can get her to sleep most of the way, rather than have a baby who has too much energy and no way to really release it.
    things_not_sane

Answer by things_not_sane at 3:49 PM on Jan. 20, 2010

• I would go at night. Hopefully she'll sleep through it all. I like the above idea of a wrap, although I've never worn one.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:52 PM on Jan. 20, 2010

• you can either waker her up early and hope she goes to sleep or take the later one and hope she goes to sleep. either or. id go with the later one. but thats jsut me. even if she is wide awake i dont see the biggy. but i do agree to put her in pjs or something super comfy.
    sandraberke

Answer by sandraberke at 3:53 PM on Jan. 20, 2010

• Go at night.
    I second the advice about wearing her in a wrap/carrier. She will wake up but go back to sleep much quicker if she's in her pjs, close to mom. Bring her fav. snacks and toy so that if she does wake up you have a good distraction. I've traveled a lot with my young son and it always works out best if the flights are around nap/bed time and we wear him in a carrier as much as possible.
    Good Luck
    tobys.mommy

Answer by tobys.mommy at 4:45 PM on Jan. 20, 2010