Optimist? Realist? or Pessimist?

Where do you fall? How do you define yourself in that position?

Example. I am an optimist. Not because I think happy thoughts and therefore good things happen to me. I am an optimist because I know that I have control of my own environment. When bad things happen, I don't just lie there and let them run me over. I choose to change the situation, sometimes making desperate sacrifices and dealing with the short-term discomforts in order to create a positive outcome. That is my definition of optimism.

So, who are you? What do YOU feel makes you the way that you are?

sillyt

Asked by sillyt at 3:44 PM on Jan. 20, 2010 in Just for Fun

• i'm an optimist too. i refuse to let any bad situation control me or my day or mood. bad things happen and to me, alota bad things. but who cares thats life. you DEAL! if u arent gonna deal u may as well have wasted alotta ur life on being pissed. life's too good for that. why waste time. time is money !lol
    fefe87

Answer by fefe87 at 3:46 PM on Jan. 20, 2010

• I am a realist/pessimist. So far in my 22 years of life, I have learned that for every 1 good thing that happens to me, 3 or 4 bad things follow. I have learned not to get excited over good news because as soon as I show I'm really happy or excited about something, it gets taken away or falls through. I have learned that in reality, you DON'T reap what you sow and what goes around DOESN'T come around. Assholes finish first and the good die young.
    GothicMommy3

Answer by GothicMommy3 at 3:48 PM on Jan. 20, 2010

• depends on my mood.
    Anonymous

• I'm a realist because I face things head on the way they are and try not to blow them out of proportion one way or the other. I don't sugar-coat things because I don't want to set myself up for disappointment, but I also don't want to look at things in the dramatic "end of the world" perspective. Sometimes it's hard to not do either one of those things, but for the most part, being real with myself helps me maintain my sanity. I like to way out the pros and cons and look at things from both ends of the spectrum. Take the good with the bad, that's what gives life it's balance.
    nicolemstacy

Answer by nicolemstacy at 3:51 PM on Jan. 20, 2010

• Just noticed I did a typo lol I meant "weigh" not "way" sorry!
    nicolemstacy

Answer by nicolemstacy at 3:52 PM on Jan. 20, 2010

• Always an optimist!

Answer by older at 3:54 PM on Jan. 20, 2010

• I categorize myself as a realist, but my husband says I'm a pessimist...I think that's because he's an optimist and doesn't like hearing the truth!

Anonymous

• Realist most of the time - leaning toward optimist. Depends on the situation.
    RutterMama

Answer by RutterMama at 4:07 PM on Jan. 20, 2010

• Eternal optimist. My mother says I live in my own Utopia and I see nothing wrong with that at all.
    Lesli

Answer by Lesli at 4:08 PM on Jan. 20, 2010

• For the realists, how do you define realism and how do you separate it from pessimism?

Also for the realists, if someone were to ask you to think of three things that you can do to maintain a positive outlook, would you take offense to the request as an attack on your identity as a realist?
    sillyt

Answer by sillyt at 5:16 PM on Jan. 20, 2010