Not paying a lawyer? What really?

I didn't know where else to put this but I know general parenting gets a lot of viewers. Long story short my dh and I have a lawyer who promised a specific amount of custody and child support that now he did not deliver on. Our child support is three times what he promised and does not factor in the $1,000 transportation costs each time we see him (we live 4,000 miles away). My dh thinks because the lawyer did not deliver or file the papers yet he can get mad at him for not doing what he promised and not pay the $4,000 lawyer fees. This is totally not true right? Even if we are not happy with the results, we need to pay him in full right? I plan on taking what we can get so later it was not a waste of time and in the mean time we do get a legal right to more visitation. Thanks just looking for back up becasue that idea sounds absurd to me!!! :)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:53 PM on Jan. 20, 2010 in General Parenting

• I would pay the lawyer. I'm no expert, but it seems to me that the lawyer will know a legal way to get his money one way or the other. : ) Best of luck.
    Anonymous

• You have to pay the lawyer no matter the outcome unless there was a written agreement that you don't have to pay under certain circumstances.

Sounds like your husband got ripped off. Child support is usually by guidelines in most states and it's easy to figure out what support will be.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 3:59 PM on Jan. 20, 2010

• If you are unhappy with your lawyers service, report him to the American Bar association and let them see if did a competent job or not, explain to them you feel his fees didn't fit his promise, but I think you will end up paying him for his time, but it is defenitely worth a shot.

Answer by older at 3:59 PM on Jan. 20, 2010

• Yep, gotta pay him. Lawyers lie a lot. I have seen this happen many times.
    Candi1024

Answer by Candi1024 at 4:10 PM on Jan. 20, 2010

• Yes - attorneys are not a pay for service job. It's a fee that you agreed to pay, regardless of outcome.

Answer by missanc at 4:15 PM on Jan. 20, 2010

• Next time get it in writing when they promise you something. Hard lesson to learn but you'll end up paying. If you don't pay now they can add fees on top of that.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 4:56 PM on Jan. 20, 2010

• I would also like to point out that any promise any lawyer makes to you in representation requiring the court system is false, they cannot know for sure what the outcome will be. They can give you an overall idea from the guidelines, but it is never 100% accurate, so when you run into an attorney that guarantees "anything" run the other way.

Answer by older at 5:31 PM on Jan. 20, 2010

• lol thanks guys. I appreciate it. That is what I thought I just wanted someone else to agree with me.
    Anonymous

• you could consult another lawyer and sue your first for malpractice. we hired a contract lawyer once, and my husband had to read the contract to him! that was negligence, and we did not pay him in full, and he did not come after us either.
    Anonymous