im 28 weeks pregnant and havin a lot of pain in my legs what does that mean? im on bed rest .

kadmomma

Asked by kadmomma at 3:58 PM on Jan. 20, 2010 in Pregnancy

• regular pain or cramps, cramps suck, maybe their a sign for varicose veins. talk to ur ob.
    fefe87

Answer by fefe87 at 3:59 PM on Jan. 20, 2010

• You need to call your doctor now depending on the kind of pain. You can get blood clots on bedrest and may need to get to the ER.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 4:01 PM on Jan. 20, 2010

• Bed rest carries a risk for DVT a blood clot, I would call your Dr.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 4:05 PM on Jan. 20, 2010

• Just curious. Why are you on bed rest so early.. ? I assume pre-term labor.. you have a long way to go and yes it could cause DVT (and you could throw a clot) so get that leg pain checked out and if it is nothing make sure you keep up with your leg exercises to keep your blood flowing.

I read that strict bed rest doesn't stop active pre-term labor from happening (studies show it doesn't seem to alter outcomes) and can actually inhibit circulation to the placenta... so I'd never let them put me on strict bed rest but that's just me.
    Anonymous

• "I read that strict bed rest doesn't stop active pre-term labor from happening (studies show it doesn't seem to alter outcomes) and can actually inhibit circulation to the placenta... so I'd never let them put me on strict bed rest but that's just me."
    That really depends on the reason one is on strict bed rest. Some has incompetent cervix and that often requires what we call pelvic rest. This is what most call strict bed rest, although modified to positions in bed as well. It is a long hard road... I did it and thousands of others have as well.
    As far as the leg pain, if there is any heat, sudden pain, or shortness of breath...call an ambulance and get to an ER. Do not schedule an appointment for next week with your OB. IF it is crampy pain, it is most likely from immobility. This can be brought up to your doctor at your next appointment. when in bed, try exercising your legs hourly.
    rebemomma

Answer by rebemomma at 6:20 PM on Jan. 20, 2010