how to get twins to nurse from BOTH breasts!!?????

Ok...my twins are 3 weeks old now...home for one week. They BOTH prefer my right breast. I am pumping like a mad woman...getting about 6 oz per session of about 15 minutes. I think my left breast is bigger than my right, and neither of them will latch on to it!! I am walking around lopsided!!! Lately I have not been nursing as much, just pumping alot and hoping they will grow into it...any ideas??? I am dying to nurse them at the same time, but nobody wants that left breast!!!! HELP!!!

wntg1grl

Asked by wntg1grl at 4:32 PM on Jan. 20, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• maybe try tricking them by holding them different on that boob. like if u are using the football hold, then hold them in front of u on that one.. i hope that makes sense.
    mrsjosey1018200

Answer by mrsjosey1018200 at 4:34 PM on Jan. 20, 2010

• Have you tried nursing them at the same time? latch one of them on the left and one on the right? I know with my twins I tried that it was kind of weird for me to do to be honest, but they nursed pretty good that way. I did that for about two weeks then went back to switching them every other feeding on alternate sides.

Or maybe you just have too much milk on your left side?Maybe just pump a little bit out of your left side, perhaps your left breast just retains more milk than your right and it's harder for them to latch on. Or maybe try laying them the same direction as you lay them when you feed them on the right side. Maybe they prefer laying that particular direction when they nurse??
    CinderAmethyst

Answer by CinderAmethyst at 4:37 PM on Jan. 20, 2010

• Pump the left one before nursing them, so it is not so large and engorged.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 4:41 PM on Jan. 20, 2010

• That's wierd because babies usually like the left best. Try working with different holds. You may be trying both with the football hold. You might try on the left in the typical nursing position and then the other on the right in the football hold. You may even be able to get them to lay across each other on your chest.

Try laying down and nursing. Be creative with thinking up new and different ways to put them.

Don't give them bottles of pumped milk. If they both nurse from the right it will make enough milk for both of them. You don't want to cause any more problems then you already have. One breast can make plenty of milk for two babies. Remember their bellies are very small and breastmilk is easily digested.

If you can't get them on the left with trying different positions then I suggest calling a LLL Leader or lactation consultant. LLL Leaders will help for free and some do home visits.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 4:41 PM on Jan. 20, 2010

• It is very common for babies to prefer one breast (left of right, it depends on the person). Try the "slide over". I think this is what mrsjosey was describing. Get one nursing on the right, then after a few minutes slide her over to the left one without changing her position. Then you can latch baby number 2 on the right.

Are you producing way more milk than they are drinking each day? It does sound like you might have a bit of an oversupply on the left. If you are making more than enough milk try cutting back on pumping that side a bit and see if you can get it to produce the right amount.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 6:51 PM on Jan. 20, 2010

• I was going to ask if you think you have a stronger/faster let down on your left?? I know that my last baby HATED my left side as a newborn because it completely overwhelmed him...but he LOVED it as he got older and got greedy for the milk to come fast : ) If you feel like this might be the case, the best thing would be to do what someone else said and pump a little bit first to get less engorged and hopefully slow the flow down some. If you don't think that's the problem, then I'm not sure what to do : ( Just keep working with them I guess!
    danimarieaz

Answer by danimarieaz at 7:36 PM on Jan. 20, 2010