What are some creative things to do to get a toddler with a fever to eat and drink?

My 13-month-old daughter has a fever and is refusing to eat or drink much. I hate to force her to drink (but I will if I have to), so what are some things you do to get your toddler to eat or drink while he/she has a fever?

SlightlyPerfect

Asked by SlightlyPerfect at 4:49 PM on Jan. 20, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• If she has a fever not wanting to drink or eat my dr told me to do this when my kids were that age. Don't make them eat if they dont want to eat. She said just to make sure they are getting something to drink so they dont get dydrated she told me to give them if they wont drink it to take a dropper and give them a dropful of water after an hour if she keeps it down give her some more then gradually give her more a whole dropful like every hour then every half hour then every 15 minutes
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 4:58 PM on Jan. 20, 2010

• Popsicles! Get the 100% fruit juice ones so it's healthier. Fluids are the most important thing. I wouldn't push her to eat too much until her appetite comes back.
    RobynS

Answer by RobynS at 5:12 PM on Jan. 20, 2010

• I never worried about the eating part....to get them to drink, I'd use a straw and cuddle up with a movie. The combo of me with them and the straw and the not thinking too much about it usually worked.

Hope your LO is feeling better soon!!
    Kid_Coach

Answer by Kid_Coach at 5:17 PM on Jan. 20, 2010

• If it's a fever, you don't need to push food. Just fluids. Popsicles are great, especially the 100% fruit ones like the pp said. Dole makes a good variety. Also, sugar free jello. If you're really worried about them getting all the nutrients they need, you could get some pediasure or similar supplement drink. There are several out there made just for kids now.
    Megs5384

Answer by Megs5384 at 5:17 PM on Jan. 20, 2010

• The last time my little one was sick he didn't want anything to drink but he would drink powerade. My doc told me that if it was ok for him to have it as long as he was drinking. She even told me that I could give him sprite or 7up if he would take it. The popsicle idea is great too. Just try different things and see what if anything she will take. Hope she's better soon.
    Anonymous

• When my dd is sick, she likes to watch a certain DVD. When she is mesmerized by it, I put a cup of juice in her hands and she usually starts to sip it out of habit. Popsicles are good- they also have pedialite popsicles if the little one is already dehydrated. Apple sauce sometimes works for me, too.
    good luck!
    zoeygracesmom

Answer by zoeygracesmom at 7:34 PM on Jan. 20, 2010

• popsicles! or freezie pops. you can get pedialyte ones

applesauce is a good idea

fruit smoothies?
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 10:43 PM on Jan. 20, 2010