cloth diapers

I am looking into getting cloth diapers. There are so many options and I am wondering if someone has a good suggestions. Also what should I get? I know they have inserts, how many should I get? Any information would be great.

justkier

Asked by justkier at 4:54 PM on Jan. 20, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My favorite company is Thirsties. I love their products. But if you're looking to do it as cheap as possible, get Chinese prefolds. You can still use whatever covers you want, ProWraps are the cheapest. I, personally, hate prefolds, and much prefer AIOs, AI2s and fitteds. I love Thirsties' Duo diaper. It's got sticker shock, but it's basically two diapers in one (it adjusts to two sizes, so you only need 2 sizes instead of 4 from birth to potty.) So $21 for a diaper is really more like $10.50, which is cheap.

You may find that you don't need inserts at all. It depends on how heavy a wetter your baby is. I find I only use about 4 or 5 of them before I'm doing diaper laundry again anyway, since I only use them at nighttime.

Good luck and PM me if you have any questions :)

Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 4:59 PM on Jan. 20, 2010

• I'd start out by getting a few of each different type (flats, prefolds, AIO, fitteds) to find what you like and what works best.

I preferred fitted diapers with covers. I like AIO but you have to wash the whole thing, with a diaper and a cover you can use the cover until its wet or needs a change. saves on laundry.

feel free to message me too if you need. I cloth diapered all my girls from birth (in the hospital too....they were an anomaly there) to potty training. :)
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 5:49 PM on Jan. 20, 2010

• I love our bum genius 3.0! At first I was leery of a pocket diaper (I had used all in ones with y previous 2 kids) but I was sold on the fact that they fit form 8-35 pounds and you don't have to buy multiple sizes. We have been using them for 6 months no and LOVE them. Again, not cheap (but less that a lot of other pocket or AIOs) but you only have to buy one set.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 6:48 PM on Jan. 20, 2010

• I rec. doing pocket diapers personally because they absorb well and wash and dry quickly. They also don't harvest bacteria like some of the AIOs can do. Fuzzi Bunz is a good brand but there are tons out there. There are many cloth diapering groups here and on the web. Once you decide what KIND of diaper (AIO, AI2, Pockets, fitteds/covers, prefolds/covers, etc) you want to do, then you can ask what brand other's liked. I cloth diapered my son, it was great. Good for you!
    NoNonsenseMama

Answer by NoNonsenseMama at 2:52 AM on Jan. 21, 2010