Do You Think Healthcare Is A Right or A Priviledge?

The question is simple, do you think healthcare is a right or a priviledge? And please disclose whether or not you have insurance, and why you think it should be either.

angevil53

Asked by angevil53 at 5:03 PM on Jan. 20, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I think it should be a right. As it stands now, it's available to US Citizens, but only those who cannot or will not work to provide it. As it stands, too much money is spent on health care bureaucracy. If we had one national system, we could put the money into procedures and doctors instead of lobbyists and advertising.
    IamPatSajak

Answer by IamPatSajak at 5:06 PM on Jan. 20, 2010

• Right, I have Medicaid
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 5:05 PM on Jan. 20, 2010

• Everyone in the country is entitled to healthcare, right now, today. NOBODY is denied. The difference is some people pay more for it than others, and there is no right to "free" healthcare. I haven't had insurance in over 5 years. That is in part my choice. I expect nobody to pay for it for me, and I have no intention of paying for yours. You are capable of making payment plans just like everybody else.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 5:13 PM on Jan. 20, 2010

• First I want to say every American has access to health care..I think what you are wanting to know is if we think every American has a right to health insurance ..given to them

I usually sum this question up with words from the preamble to the U.S. Constitution...which states to PROVIDE for the common defense..but to PROMOTE the general welfare...

That isnt at all saying we all should be provided with health insurance..

Right now we already have government programs which do provide health insurance to those less fortunate (and some who just cheat to get it)..adding another why? There are ways to help fix the problems without a government take over..everyone knows this those on the hill know it..but it wouldnt suit the overall agenda they have in mind..
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 5:13 PM on Jan. 20, 2010

• I think it is a right. If people are sick with no coverage, that means more money for tax payers, and more people calling in sick to go to ER. Meaning, LESS work getting done in the country.
    NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 5:14 PM on Jan. 20, 2010

• If people are sick with no coverage

They should be telling the doctor they can't afford to pay, make arrangements, and pay their bills instead of waiting for someone else to pay them for them.
    Anonymous

• Oh and even NON Americans have access to health care here
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 5:16 PM on Jan. 20, 2010

• Neither. That is way too simple. Amish don't buy health insurance, but do get health care. Without health insurance, they still live longer and tend to be more healthy than the average American.

Anyone in the U.S. has access to health care. They simply have to pay for it, just like we all have to pay for food, clothes, housing.

If you call health care a right, and therefore provided by the government, the government should also provide everyone with healthy food, clean clothes, and adequate housing.
    Anonymous

• Neither. IMO, it's a personal responsibility.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 5:19 PM on Jan. 20, 2010

• http://www.ancestry.com/facts/AMISH-life-expectancy.ashx

BTW, here is a link showing those poor, uninsured Amish and their life expectancy vs the average American.

They suffer so much from not having health insurance, that they have chosen to legally opted out of the Health Reform bill. *sarcasm*
    Anonymous