My year old black lab got spayed yesterday.

How long is recovery? Is it normal for her to vomit??

mommiedear

Asked by mommiedear at 5:14 PM on Jan. 20, 2010 in Pets

• Another suggestion is to water down her food...it makes it easier to chew and less work for her to eat (she is probably feeling pretty queasy)

Recovery is about 3-5 days. She needs to take it easy, no jumping, running, leaping or climbing until the stitches either dissolve or you go back to have them removed. You can make her a soft bed from some old towels or blankets to make her more comfortable.

I am not a vet tech, nor do I play one on cafemom. I do however, rescue dogs, all of which were spayed or neutered, all of my dogs have been spayed or neutered as well.

Good Luck
    Acid

Answer by Acid at 10:24 AM on Jan. 21, 2010

• Vomiting is from anesthesia, shouldn't last more then a few hours. You should have gotten instructions on proper care. She needs to avoid steps and remain fairly inactive for a good 3-5 days.
    IamPatSajak

Answer by IamPatSajak at 5:18 PM on Jan. 20, 2010

• I am a registered Vet tech. No its not normal for her to vomit. In some cases that could be a reaction to anesthsia. call your Vet!

Danielle
    http://www.momsforahealthyhome.com
    ddsunshine

Answer by ddsunshine at 6:41 PM on Jan. 20, 2010

• did you feed her? That will definantly cause her to vomit. They should have given you instructions for this. She needs to stay quite for 3-7 days depending on how well it is healing. Leash walking her would be a good idea
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 6:45 PM on Jan. 20, 2010

• I called the vet and was told that her vomiting is a reaction to her anesthesia. If she keeps vomiting I was told to bring her in tomorrow. Thankfully my dog has not vomited since this morning. My dog's surgery was on Tuesday she is not eating but she is drinking water. I feel so bad for her
    mommiedear

Answer by mommiedear at 11:20 PM on Jan. 20, 2010

• Don't feel bad for her. You did the right thing.

Vomiting is a normal reaction to the anesthesia. As your vet said, if she continues to vomit, then you need to have her seen. She probably won't be hungry for a little while longer. Dogs react differently to anesthetics then other animals do. The doses are also given according to weight, so if they didn't weigh your dog before she was "put under" she may have gotten too much.

Try to offer her some boiled (but cooled down) rice as food. Its easy on the tummy and most dogs really like it. You can also try boiled ground chicken,

Acid

Answer by Acid at 10:23 AM on Jan. 21, 2010