is there any reason my 3 week old can't sleep on his tummy besides sids? My mom and motherinlaw both put all their babies on their tummys. No problems. Why can't i?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:27 PM on Jan. 20, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I put my babies on their tummies and they are fine :) So did my sister. There is a RISK that your baby might "suddenly die" and it is theorized that tummy sleeping may contribute. It is completely up to you whether or not you want to take the risk, and - whether or not it happens because of the tummy sleeping - deal with the guilt if something terrible does happen.
    SandraB383

Answer by SandraB383 at 5:32 PM on Jan. 20, 2010

• i didnt cuz my lil one would throw up a lil some times
    keithamy06

Answer by keithamy06 at 5:31 PM on Jan. 20, 2010

• When my son was between 3 and 5 weeks old he was pushing his head up and could turn from one side to the other (his head). I HAD to lay him on his belly to sleep or he would NOT sleep.

I would recommend just making sure there is nothing loose in the bed, no bumper or stuffed animals or blankets. And it shouldn't be a problem if he can move his head. But constantly keep watch, just in case.
    RutterMama

Answer by RutterMama at 5:32 PM on Jan. 20, 2010

• well my son slept on his stomach. they do have monitors that you can put under the baby's matteres and it will notify you when she/he stops breathing or etc. my ped also told me letting the baby suck a pacifer also help prevent sids.. from my own research sids has been linked to a combination of smoking around or even have smoke smell on ur clothes and also vaccines,.,. once vaccine ages were highered to age 2 in japan the number of sids case droped.
    deverrick

Answer by deverrick at 5:33 PM on Jan. 20, 2010

• I did with #2, she had bad reflux and would scream bloody murder if she was on her back.

hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 5:40 PM on Jan. 20, 2010

• I agree with sandra.. My son never slep on his tummy until he could roll over all by himself. Personally I think him being able to roll over by himself is just as important as being able to pull his head up. My sons doctor is fantastic and she always told us not to but, doing tummy time during the day when you are able to watch them is very important. Not just while sleeping but while awake also. It is good for them.
    smarie1011

Answer by smarie1011 at 5:43 PM on Jan. 20, 2010

• With my first it was the only way I could get her to sleep. I talked to her Dr about it. She said as long as they can move there head around and make sure there are no blankets with baby or anything that could get it in the way. Since she was sleeping in her bassinet right beside me. She had no problem with it.
    Raeann11

Answer by Raeann11 at 5:43 PM on Jan. 20, 2010

• Back when we were all babies (most likely) the rule was for babies to sleep on their stomachs in case they threw up so they wouldn't choke. You were probably considered crazy or negligent if you put your baby to sleep on their back. then things swung the other way. I always put my kids to sleep on their back because it seemed easier but they were never fussy about it. Except my son who slept in his carseat until he was about 3 1/2-4 months old because of his reflux (if he laid down in any position he would scream his head off). Once they started rolling over they slept however they wanted (that was between 3 and 6 months depending on the kid). I sometimes let them take naps on their tummies on the living room floor just because they fell asleep that way while doing tummy time.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 5:55 PM on Jan. 20, 2010

• i have been putting my daughter to sleep on her belly since she was about 4 weeks old. she sleeps right at the foot of our bed, so i can check on her throughout the night, but she turns her head wonderfully, so i'm not worried. trust your own instincts.
    Wheepingchree

Answer by Wheepingchree at 6:15 PM on Jan. 20, 2010

• It also used to be commonly thought that formula was better than breastmilk and only people that couldn't afford formula actually breastfed their babies. We now know that breast is best and that babies sleeping on tummies is a risk factor for SIDS. Had any of my babies passed away of SIDS, I could never have dealt with the guilt associated knowing that I did something that could have caused it so I always put my babies to sleep on their backs. Yes, they slept better on their tummies but as parents, we can't always take the easy way out.

Answer by missanc at 6:35 PM on Jan. 20, 2010