Why did buildings crumble so easily in Haiti?

I know that seems like a dumb question. But I've never seen an Earthquake crumble so many buildings like that.....My mom said it's because they didn't put stable foundation in their buildings....

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:38 PM on Jan. 20, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• The building codes must not be a strict as they are in other places.
    Anonymous

• #1. The building codes are not the same
    #2. It was a HUGE earth quake!
    RutterMama

Answer by RutterMama at 5:42 PM on Jan. 20, 2010

• Your mom is right. They do not use the same techniques and building standards as us. They do not keep their buildings and surrounding areas kept up either.

I think the best thing we could do is not give them money, but rather send in contractors and rebuild it. Spend the money to fix it to the same standards we use in high earthquake zones and use the modern technology and building materials that we know work. Help them prepare for the next emergency, rather than watch them suffer after.
    HistoryMamaX3

Answer by HistoryMamaX3 at 5:42 PM on Jan. 20, 2010

• Abso fricken lutely NO building codes.
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 5:44 PM on Jan. 20, 2010

• There was a thing on tv the other night about this.

Many of the buildings are concrete, but they are not reinforced with rebar and their mortar is low quality.
    The wooden buildings are not made with steel bracing like US buildings are.
    Add this to the fact that they are mostly building on sand and it is a disaster waiting to happen.

The US has given a great deal of money to help their buildings be more "earthquake proof." Wonder where that money went.....
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 5:49 PM on Jan. 20, 2010

• I also think that they weren't as worried about earthquakes as much as hurricanes.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 5:51 PM on Jan. 20, 2010

• tisk tisk on anon :56.... nasty answer sweet heart.... maybe you should pray a bit harder for understanding.
    Anonymous

• because they have poor quality materials because they are a very poor nation...plus no building codes...plus a GIGANTIC earthquake....

btw...the way some people (not the op) are judging the people of haiti makes me sad and embarassed to be an american...it's no wonder so much of the world hates us when we treat others the way we do
    LoriaAnn

Answer by LoriaAnn at 6:15 PM on Jan. 20, 2010

• 4:56 PM on Jan. 20, 2010 by: Anonymous
    because its gods way of ridding the damn place
    ************* Of for Goodness sake. How immature are you,anon?
    Anonymous

PLEASE with an attitude like yours, I doubt you know anything about God.
    Anonymous