Do you send your child to daycare, even when you have the day off?

What if you pay a monthly rate (or if you did)? Do you think its better for your child to have the structure of doing the same thing every day, or is it better for them to get to spend the day home with mommy? What if you worked some half-days? Would you still leave your child there for a full day?

christyg

Asked by christyg at 5:40 PM on Jan. 20, 2010 in General Parenting

• Depends on what I have planned for the day. I work half days on Friday's and some Fridays I pick him up early and others I don't. I will however pick him up before 5 every Friday.

NAT24ROXY24

Answer by NAT24ROXY24 at 5:45 PM on Jan. 20, 2010

• My sister had to send her daughter on some days she had off or she'd have lost her funding. If the child is away so many days she'll lose her subsidy, and as a single mom she needs it. And yes, some days she does send her when she doesn't have to, but it's usually so that she can get things done without the "help" of a 4 yo.

My mil watches my son for free, so I really try to minimize the time I leave him with her. I keep him home when I have days off, unless I'm home sick. She's great, but she is 63 and I don't like to wear her out by leaving my 3 yo son with her when he doesn't need to be there.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 5:46 PM on Jan. 20, 2010

• My kids don't go to daycare. But, if they did. I probably would not send them. I mean unless I had things to do that day that were really important. Then I would probably take them for a few hours. Its just like droping them off at the babysitters... You can pick them up when ever you want to. However, If you are someone who hardly gets to spend anytime with your chidren keeping them home is probably the best thing. Kids need to spend time with mommy and daddy it means more to them then anything.
    smarie1011

Answer by smarie1011 at 5:48 PM on Jan. 20, 2010

• When my oldest was in daycare, I sent him sometimes when I didn't have class. But I always brought him later and picked him up earlier. He loved daycare so much, that he would cry if he didn't get to go on school days. As an only child he was lonely and loved the other kids.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 5:54 PM on Jan. 20, 2010

• yes i send them everyday b/c i pay for it weekly even if they dont go, im still charged, so why not let them go?
    Anonymous

• When i stay home my son does too...i pay a monthly rate and i dont care...even if i send him or not im still paying the same...and at home i know hes well taken care of! Only if i need to go somewhere then ill send him daycare
    Anonymous

• My son is a very routine Child. If his routine is thrown off much it affects his eating and sleeping.. I never realized why some mom's opted not to spend time with their child if they were home sick or off work.. but I understand now, beyond having to pay whether he is there or not, he loves to play with the kids there, he loves music class and running in muscle room -things we don't have at home.. plus he's only there 1/2 days,.. and if Mommy is home sick, I don't want him to get sick, also, I am worthless when I am sick so why put him through a miserable mom if he could be having fun? To each their own.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 6:08 PM on Jan. 20, 2010

• "yes i send them everyday b/c i pay for it weekly even if they dont go, im still charged, so why not let them go?"

Why would you let your child spend the day with someone other than his parents if he doesn't NEED to? Is it a matter of "getting your money's worth"? Isn't having a dependable place available worth the money, whether you go or not?
    Anonymous

•  "even if i send him or not im still paying the same...and at home i know hes well taken care of!"

Um, why would you EVER send your child to a daycare that you don't know if he's being taken care of? You were trying to make yourself sound like a good parent by not sending your kid to daycare when you are home but it actually backfired on you.

When he was in daycare, yes I did send him. On my days off I usually had a ton of errands to run.

legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 8:40 PM on Jan. 20, 2010

Really?

that's really REALLY sad! Money mean that much eh?
    Anonymous