SO falling asleep while on duty

Ok ladies, I need your help with something. My son's father falls asleep easily. The only time he does not fall asleep is when he is doing something that is enjoyable to him, such as working on the car. He will not wake up to help me with my son. I never sleep, I go days without sleep and still take care of my baby. (I'm an insomniac.) The other day, my SO was watching t.v., eating dinner... told him to watch our 18 month old child so I could take a 10 minutes shower. When I got out of the shower, my SO was conked out, and my son on the top of the glass dinner table. What blows my mind is when I woke him up, he blamed me! (I woke him up the night before for 30 minutes, but he still got his 10+ hours of sleep. No excuse!) Not.. OMG! I fell asleep.. where's the baby??? I'm sorry!

Ok, my question... if this was your SO... what would you do? This is the third offense for him. I'm not allowing him to watch our son again.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:06 PM on Jan. 20, 2010 in General Parenting

• i would make him go see a doctor.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 6:09 PM on Jan. 20, 2010

• I would be pretty upset and have gotten on to my DH for falling asleep while on duty. It's unacceptable behavior.
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 6:11 PM on Jan. 20, 2010

• I would be very upset at him. As lowencope said "That is unacceptabel behavior."
    Raeann11

Answer by Raeann11 at 6:14 PM on Jan. 20, 2010

• thats not normal- I would consider a sleep study.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 6:15 PM on Jan. 20, 2010

• OP: I agree, if I thought he had a sleep issue, I'd demand him to see the doctor. He can push himself to stay awake for days on end when it comes to the things he wants to do. But when it comes to his child, or the things I need help with, he just shuts down. Maybe I am mistaken, I could very well be, but I feel as if it is his choice. If I'm exhausted but know I need to take care of my child, I don't sit down on the couch and watch t.v., I get up and moving! I cannot figure out how to get him to see it from my point of view. He acts like it's nothing when I wake him up. If I tell him the baby could have been harmed, he just says the baby is fine. No big deal. Brush it off. I'm at my end's wit because I need his help, and I'm not getting enough help from him. I can't sleep (yes, I'm seeing a doctor for this) and I can't trust him alone with our child. I'm one stressed mama!
    Anonymous

• "This is the third offense for him"

What are you? A school principal?
    Anonymous

• i agree with obbydobbie- I had an exhubby who used to fall asleep at work, or even while driving! He had to get it checked out, and found out he had sleep apnea.
    merryheart

Answer by merryheart at 6:26 PM on Jan. 20, 2010

• anon...she means this is the 3rd time this has happend.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 6:27 PM on Jan. 20, 2010

• He needs medical help and possibly counseling.
    Anonymous