How many words should my 24 month old be able to say? What's the standard?

I've been to the pediatrician a few times over the past month. Once I read a paper that said they should be around 200-300 words at age 2-3 but then I asked his pediatrician and she said only 20! Well, my son can say more then 200 words along with full understanding, recognition, and putting them in sentences.

Just want an idea of where he is at, if I should be helping him move forward with his speech or let him relax a little. (he's been refusing to say new things)

Bugsmommy1908

Asked by Bugsmommy1908 at 6:12 PM on Jan. 20, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• If is is well above the standard I wouldn't push too much. My middle child was speaking in complete clear sentences at 18 months. My other two not so much. My youngest just turned two and knows about 100 words, but is not making sentences. My nephew is two months older and has a much bigger vocabulary and speaks in sentences. It all depends on the child. If your child is way above the curve, which your sounds like he is I wouldn't worry about forcing new words. He is probably developing something else right now and will get back to language soon enough.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 6:17 PM on Jan. 20, 2010

• Most children will be saying well over 200 words by the time they are 2 years old.
    The reason why the pediatrician gave such a low number is because of taking into account other factors such as bilingual homes, children with many older siblings, and other such things can cause the number of words to be a lot lower but it doesn't necessarily mean that those children are delayed.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 6:36 PM on Jan. 20, 2010

• I belive your pediatrican is wrong. My pediatrician told me an 18 month old should have 6 to 10 words. That would mean that they're only expected to learn another 10 words in six months which doesn't make any sense. I believe the 200 to 300 words is far more likely to be the milestone which would put your child right on target. At 2 they should also be starting to put phrases together.
    Anonymous

• I just looked it up and found this info...
    by 24 months your child should be...
    * Can name a number of objects common to his surroundings
    * Is able to use at least two prepositions, usually chosen from the following: in, on, under
    * Combines words into a short sentence-largely noun-verb combinations (mean) length of sentences is given as 1.2 words
    * Approximately 2/3 of what child says should be intelligible
    Vocabulary of approximately 150-300 words
    * Rhythm and fluency often poor
    * Volume and pitch of voice not yet well-controlled
    * Can use two pronouns correctly: I, me, you, although me and I are often confused
    * My and mine are beginning to emerge
    * Responds to such commands as "show me your eyes (nose, mouth, hair)"

SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 7:33 PM on Jan. 20, 2010

• Wow - lots of different answers here. My doc said around 50 words at the second birthday.

Honestly I think my girl was only using around 25 on her second birthday, but then a month later her vocabulary exploded, and she she started using tons of words and forming sentence structure after that.
    mogencreative

Answer by mogencreative at 10:39 PM on Jan. 20, 2010