3rd grade spelling, Is it suppose to be this hard?

My 3rd grader is terrible at spelling. On her tests she may get 5 out 20 right. Her teacher shortened her spelling list to 13 words but it really hasn't helped. We practice every night but she isn't retaining any of it. She does great on everything else, all A's, spelling C- . What am I doing wrong?

RyansMom001

Asked by RyansMom001 at 6:36 PM on Jan. 20, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• have you tried a tutor?
    LynnB1

Answer by LynnB1 at 6:37 PM on Jan. 20, 2010

• what do you do to get her to study?
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 6:38 PM on Jan. 20, 2010

• My 3rd grader has 18 spelling words/week. Each night they have homework related to those words (mon night they write the words 3 times/each, tuesday night it's something different every week, wed night is a practice test that parents have to sign, and thursday night is study whichever way the kids learn best). My daughter usually gets them all right, maybe misses one, because she's seen them, heard them, written them, etc.
    If your daughter is doing all that and still having trouble I would suggest a tutor.

Answer by missanc at 6:42 PM on Jan. 20, 2010

• There are 30 words on my 2nd grader's list today. He was freaking out. I didn't look at the list but I bet they were review words from the last few weeks. Normally he has like 20 words and there is usually a theme (long As made with an e at the end, etc). My 1st grader's words are the same way and she sometimes gets 30+ words on her list.
    I never really had a problem with them and spelling, though. My son couldn't read in 1st grade but got 100% on almost every spelling test and still gets As most of the time and he rarely studies for them.
    They do spelling work every day, too. Usually some kind of worksheet. Neither one has to write their words. I think my oldest did in 3rd grade, though.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 6:51 PM on Jan. 20, 2010

• How does she study her spelling words? Does she spell them aloud or write them down? Some people do better writing things down while others learn better spelling words out loud. If she typically only studies one way, maybe try varying things at home. Sometimes just the repetition of writing the words multiple times will help the child get a "visualization" of how the words are spelled. Maybe one night have her write the words, the next night have her spell them aloud, and so on. Does she get frustrated when she studies her spelling words? If so, try some fun ways to study them. Use shaving cream. Kids love to put it on a cookie sheet or other wipeable surface you might have & let her spell the words in the shaving cream. Use magnetic letters. You can use a cookie sheet for this too by having her use the magnets to spell the words. Try spelling games on the computer or just let her type the words several times on a computer.
    soccermom0002

Answer by soccermom0002 at 6:52 PM on Jan. 20, 2010

• I've tried different things.

1. We go on spellingcity.com and play games

2.we write them on a dry erase board

3.we spell them orally

4.I have her brake the words into smaller words, and syllables

5.clapping the words,

6.skipping around the house, and making up a cheers.

I'm just feel like I'm constantly pushing her and she just isn't able to remember them and its getting us both really frustrated.  Other things in school come really easy for her so I don't know if she isn't focusing because this just isn't fun for her and its hard.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 7:41 PM on Jan. 20, 2010

• Have her write each word five times on a piece of paper.

Answer by rkoloms at 7:55 PM on Jan. 20, 2010

• Does she read for pleasure? Reading can help make spelling easier.
    Allergic2Stupid

Answer by Allergic2Stupid at 9:23 PM on Jan. 20, 2010

• I am a teacher and I play games with my students during spelling in class. I teach them to identify words within a word. It helps them spell it. If the word is behave. I would asked them what words do you see in behave.
    Also we play a game where we take the vowels out. Vowel sounds is what usually messes up spelling. Take the vowels out and put them back.
    Also if the teacher is working on a specific spelling strategy, find other words within that strategy that the child can spell to build confidence.
    When I taught 2nd grade I gave 3 different spelling test to my kids. See if the teacher would give the student smaller words to help with confidence.
    Anonymous

• my 3rd grader is struggling as well.

they get a 14 word spelling test with new words at the beginning of the month - those words are sent home - and learned in class through the month and at home. then at the end of the month they have the test to see how they do.

my dd loves to read but she reads so fast that she doesn't pay attention to the spellings and the words - so its not always lack of reading.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 10:25 PM on Jan. 20, 2010