Do you think that Haiti is going to end up way better then it was before the earthquake?

I am talking about better/nicer buildings, more food stuffs, better quality of life overall due to the influx of aid? And if yes, do you think they will be able to sustain that quality or do you think they will end up slipping back down?

momof030404

Asked by momof030404 at 6:49 PM on Jan. 20, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I lived in N Miami for a long time and had the pleasure of knowing many Haitians. But no, unfortunately it is true, their gov't is so terribly corrupt and the country is so poor - hence 30 people in a dingy trying to make it to Miami's shores. I would hope for all of the good people there that it will be better but sadly think it will be even worse.
    dharmagirl

Answer by dharmagirl at 7:05 PM on Jan. 20, 2010

• The problem with Haiti is their corrupt and, pardon my french, shithole governing system. Unless that changes dramatically, Haiti won't be any better off.
    Anonymous

• Nope. The more time goes on, the more money will be sloughed off the top, sides and bottom, and they'll be left about like Beirut or most of Afghanistan is today.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 6:51 PM on Jan. 20, 2010

• I would hope so.. I do wish Haiti and the people the best.
    BEXi

Answer by BEXi at 6:53 PM on Jan. 20, 2010

• one can hope.
    Anonymous

• No. The Hatian government and its' leaders do NOT care about the people of Haiti.
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 7:02 PM on Jan. 20, 2010

• No. In fact, I think it'll look the same as it does TODAY! Maybe a little less rubble, but survivors will just carve out new dwellings from the ruins.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 7:10 PM on Jan. 20, 2010

• Well, maybe. Although probably the people who lost family wouldn't see it that way.
    stacymomof2

Answer by stacymomof2 at 8:19 PM on Jan. 20, 2010

• I wish I could say yes, but I sincerely doubt it. There are many more issues than an earthquake. Most started long, long ago and are not going away no matter how much money and time we apply.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 8:23 PM on Jan. 20, 2010

• No, I don't. I think they are going to be even poorer than they were for quite a while.
    Anonymous