IEP meeting-Asperger's

I was told they could be scary and that the school may try to put him into self contained classes. I was also told that they may end up putting him into more resources than he needs. Is this true? What can I do to make that not happen. What do I need to ask or be aware of?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:50 PM on Jan. 20, 2010 in General Parenting

• I am a teacher. IEP meetings may be scary for you as a parent, but I will say that you don't have to agree to ANYTHING the IEP says. the school won't just automatically put him in a self-contained classroom if he has a mild form. More severe forms of autism do sometimes require self-contained classrooms... it's something called the "least restrictive environment." The least restrictive environment which allows the student to succeed.

Don't be scared. You don't have to agree with anything. Unless he is severe, there should be no reason to put him in a self-contained class.
    christaberk

Answer by christaberk at 6:57 PM on Jan. 20, 2010

• They are required to put him in the "least restrictive" environment by law. For Aspergers this usually doesn't mean a self contained classroom. In our area, and most since the recession, they don't have the money to spend on resources so you usually have to fight to get as many resources as you feel he needs. It's much more common to get less than you would like rather than more. I was never scared in a meeting (I have a 12 year old AU child who is in a self contained classroom and needs to be), remember you are advocating for your child and you know him better than anyone else. If you don't think what they want to do is correct, don't sign. Plan another meeting and bring an advocate from the local/state autism society with you.

Answer by missanc at 6:56 PM on Jan. 20, 2010

• One thing the I'm sure the school won't mention is how much money they get for you diagnosing your kid and doing an IEP! I wouldn't even go there. Your child is money to them. Public schools can't provide services that help children with AS because AS isn't a learning disorder, it's a social disorder. The school system wants to label and disable children.

legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 8:31 PM on Jan. 20, 2010

• first off calm down your going to stress yourself and your child by over worring....i did.....second you never have to agree to anything the school wants to do and you can fight for what you think he needs....
    example my son is 8yr asperger/ADHD they wanted him in a "normal" classroom with older kids.....my response was NO
    he is in a small 5 kids class room with an aid to help him one on one with staying focus...he would have to go accross the street to get his lunch...my response was NO the aid can bring his lunch to the classroom...do you see my point here? just because the school recommonds something doesnt mean you have to listen...do what you know in your heart is right for your kid.....GL
    cara124

Answer by cara124 at 8:33 PM on Jan. 20, 2010