how do i get my 13mnth old to sleep?help please!!!

ok i have a 13 month old girl and her crib is in my room because we are ki8nda cramped right now and first of all she wont go to sleep on her own i have to rock her or she will finally just konk out at like 12am uggh..and when she does get to sleep ..she wakes up at like 4am and wants to be in my bed or will get down from the bed and want to go into the livingroom and sleep on the couch with my mom who is curently staying with us..what do i do? is she to old for that crying to sleep thing?will it even work now? and how do i keep her in bed without her sitting at the door and crying all night?wow this is out of hand ..anyone have a clue?

mom2b112108

Asked by mom2b112108 at 6:53 PM on Jan. 20, 2010 in General Parenting

• She is not too old for the crying to sleep thing. Start with a nice early bed time and a usual get ready for bed routine.

It's up to you if you want to let her cry-it-out cold turkey or do a slow transition thing. The transition thing would be where you rock her for a while, but set her in her crib awake then stay in her room until she falls asleep - then each night stay in there less time and or move your chair away from the bed.

We chose to start with the slow transition thing, and then shifted to cold turkey leaving her there when she was older and more used to the idea. (you have to re-train them to fall asleep on their own after vacations or a sickness interrupts normal sleep).

Either way, unless she's sick, or giving an obvious in-pain cry - don't go into her room until after 6 am.
    Anonymous

• No, she's not to old for cry-it-out. You need to establish a routine for bedtime to signal that it's time for bed. Then put her in her crib and leave her there. She's old enough to sleep through the night, and she's old enough to stay in her crib.

It will be rough, but you'll make it.
    christaberk

Answer by christaberk at 7:00 PM on Jan. 20, 2010

• I have found the book the "no cry sleep solution" to be great.
    justluvinmyson

Answer by justluvinmyson at 7:11 PM on Jan. 20, 2010

• I have written a journal for this exact thing. Take a look and let me know what you think! Good Luck

JOURNAL

RutterMama

Answer by RutterMama at 9:20 PM on Jan. 20, 2010