Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Question about food stamps

We were on food stamps for 6 months until DH found a job. I called our county back in October when he started working. I wasnt sure if we still qualified or not since he was making less money on unemployment. Well I have called numerous times since and they wont call me back. We have not used the card since then since I am not sure if we can or not. I just checked the card balance yesterday and it has over $1,200 on it! We have to reapply next month which we probably wont since I dont think we qualify. What should I do with the card now? Should I just use the money or wait another three months for them to call me back? Does the money automatically get taken off the card if we dont reapply or does that balance stay on the card? Any suggestions on what to do?

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 7:09 PM on Jan. 20, 2010 in Money & Work

Answers (6)
  • You need to go into the office and explain the situation. They will tell you what to do.

    Answer by justluvinmyson at 7:14 PM on Jan. 20, 2010

  • Be careful! If you use the money and they find you were not qualified to use the card they will want all of that money back! It is very honest and respectable of you not to use it since he got the job but just be careful since they can go back and say you guys were ineligible since Oct and demand any money that was spent back. i'm sure they will not accept that they didn't call you back as a reason to use the card when you are in doubt. I hope that didn't sound rude but i can't think of another way of rephrasing it. Just watch your back until you can talk to someone. GL I hope it works out for you :)

    Answer by katie23 at 7:20 PM on Jan. 20, 2010

  • you need to take the card and check stubs for the time you DH started working in to the office and explain the situation to the worker on duty that day and she will straighten it all out...but do not use the money till you have talk to the worker because you are responsible to payback any or all of the money you didnt qulify for.....if you can get to the office and can only call dont leave a message for your worker to call you back ask for the worker of the day or the supervisor and explain all to them GL

    Answer by cara124 at 8:24 PM on Jan. 20, 2010

  • In my state they do not apply changes to your acct that will take money away until you are due to recert. Which means if I got a payraise and it would cause me to get less money it wouldnt apply for X amt of months whenever i was due to go back in. I would still be able to get the same amt of monthly benefits until then. Now when i go to recert, they will make the nec. changes. So i dont know how it works in your state, but that could be a really iffy situation. Wouldnt want you to spend it and have to pay it back, but i would hate for you to not use it and be able to!!! Call again leave a message or ask to speak to a different worker, tell them that your problem is URGENT and needs to be resolved. If all else fails talk to your case workers manager!!!! anyone can tell you if its okay or not!!!

    Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 8:44 PM on Jan. 20, 2010

  • Unless you weren't entitled to that money, it will stay on the card until you use it.

    Answer by Anonymous at 9:01 PM on Jan. 20, 2010

  • here i think that if you don't use the money in 6 months that it will get taken off. also, i would definately go in and ask if it is okay to use it. do not get rid of the card though. even if they take the money off, save your card in case you ever need assistance in the future. they prefer that if you were ever on assistance that if you go back you use the old cards. good luck!

    Answer by aly38914290 at 9:11 PM on Jan. 20, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.