Question about Aknowledgement of Paternity (AOP)??

I was wondering when is the soonest me and my boyfriend can fill this out so we won't have to worry about it when our daughter is born. All we'll have to do is sign the birth certificate and take her home. Can you fill out the AOP before the child is born? We won't be getting married until later on so this is mandatory for right now.

penguinbabe44

Asked by penguinbabe44 at 8:01 PM on Jan. 20, 2010 in Pregnancy

• As long as your boyfriend is not contesting the paternity, all he will have to do is sign the form saying he's the dad. They just give it to you with all the other paperwork after the baby is born. It only takes a second and is no big deal. Either way nowadays you have to go to the vital records to et the birth certificate and that takes a short while.
    tllypooki78

Answer by tllypooki78 at 8:34 PM on Jan. 20, 2010

• maybe call a lawyer or legal aid -sometimes a lawyer will give a consult over the phone for free for something fast.
    lfl

Answer by lfl at 8:08 PM on Jan. 20, 2010

• i would call the hospital you will be delivering at. if you do preregistration, maybe you can do that at the same time.
    erika_wright

Answer by erika_wright at 8:20 PM on Jan. 20, 2010

• I think the affidavit of parentage has to be signed in front of a notary public and you have to wait until the child is born, at least that's how it is in my state. Once it's signed you either send it or take it to the division of vital records to get the birth certificate.

legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 8:21 PM on Jan. 20, 2010

• We dont have that here but we have a DOP (Declaration of Paternity) and I am assuming its probably the same thing. In Cali the DOP has to be signed in front of a registered nurse or midwife and it can not be done until the baby is born because it has to have the babies name & birth date on it. Your bf will either have to read it outloud to the nurse/midwife or the nurse/midwife will have to read it to him (you cant read it silently for some reason) and then he signs it. It takes like five minutes and is no big deal at all
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 9:14 PM on Jan. 20, 2010

• you have to wait
    mommy0421

Answer by mommy0421 at 11:21 PM on Jan. 20, 2010