Are we paying him enough??

My DH and I have a small company with one employee. He gets paid $12 an hour. He works 40+ hours a week. Every other week before payday, he is "borrowing" money from us that we deduct from his check. And he's always broke! I am starting to wonder if he should get a raise or if he is just blowing his pay on crap. He lives at home. I want to pay a fair wage, but I do have to watch my spending so I can make payroll every other week. I also do not want him to look for another job because he wants more $$.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:17 PM on Jan. 20, 2010 in Money & Work

• The suggestion to look up comparable salary info on line makes sense, however each region has it's impact too. Those numbers tend to be national averages. If he could make more elsewhere for the same job and he were really strapped he'd leave. Are there any businesses nearby that are similar to your own? Perhaps he feels a concern for your business as much as you do for him. Maybe he likes working for you. Could you pay him more anyway? If not, then don't fret. You can't do better. Has he asked for a raise? If he hasn't, then he probably doesn't feel horribly pinched. If he pays you back for the advances, it's probably just a cash flow issue on his part. Then again the most direct option is to ask him.
    oddfox

Answer by oddfox at 9:31 PM on Jan. 20, 2010

• He is making more then enough if he lives at home. My hubby makes $13.52 and we live off of that and we are a family of 4 with 2 cats.
    Anonymous

• You can compare salaries here: www.salary.com

Answer by rkoloms at 8:21 PM on Jan. 20, 2010

• Depends on what he does, i wish i made that much
    DilsMommy

Answer by DilsMommy at 8:29 PM on Jan. 20, 2010

• It all depends on what he does.
    christaberk

Answer by christaberk at 8:30 PM on Jan. 20, 2010

• If he is a good employee and you value his work, then pay him more if you can. He could obviously use more money if he is always borrowing before payday. Who couldn't use a raise these days?

It's none of your business what he does with his money! The fact that he lives at home has nothing to do with anything. You are his EMPLOYER, not his mother.
    Anonymous

• Sounds like he's got problems with money management, or an addiction. We are a family of 5 making just slightly more than that, paying child support to an ex-wife, and we not only get by, have money left over at the end of the month without any government assistance.
    Anonymous

• I used to make $8 hr teaching 3 yr old preschool as a single mom with no help, $12 should be fine...
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 8:59 PM on Jan. 20, 2010

• t's none of your business what he does with his money! The fact that he lives at home has nothing to do with anything. You are his EMPLOYER, not his mother.

OP HERE:
    I know that and I dont care what he does with it. I have lived on less when I was working hourly, mortgage 2 kids etc. But that was 10 years ago. I dont know what its like to live on hourly anymore and dont want to be in a little bubble thinking I am paying him a fair wage and I'm not.
    Anonymous

• I agree. I can't see why $12.00 is not enough. I would do some comparisons to make sure that you are paying enough for what he does. If he is having to get advances though, I would think that he is not managing his money well enough. He is making more than my SO and we pretty much live off of what he is bringing home.
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 9:06 PM on Jan. 20, 2010