I'm not married. Should I give my unborn baby my last name or my boyfriend's?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:35 PM on Jan. 20, 2010 in Pregnancy

• its up to you
    I gave my son my name
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 8:37 PM on Jan. 20, 2010

• I guess it depends
    how long have you been together and are you planning to marry? If not I would give the baby your name.
    3beautbabies

Answer by 3beautbabies at 8:38 PM on Jan. 20, 2010

• Your call.
    Anonymous

• You should speak to your bf and make a decision together. I personally think it also depends on where your relationship is going. Are you getting married eventually? Is it just a casual thing? Do you think you'll be together for a while?

All those things are things I personally would think of...
    christaberk

Answer by christaberk at 8:39 PM on Jan. 20, 2010

• That $40 marriage license will give you more than $10, 000 of legal protection...

Answer by rkoloms at 8:45 PM on Jan. 20, 2010

• It depends on your situation. Is your bf going to be there for the longhaul? Are you going to get married? Was it a casual thing? I was engaged to my sons "father" but gave my son my last name. It was the best decision that I made. His father decided to cheat on me, got busted and he went on his way and never looked back. If you are not sure where the relationship is going, give the child your last name.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 8:46 PM on Jan. 20, 2010

• If you think that you guys will get married then I would but if you have even the slightest doubt then def not. It takes a lot to change it later on if he is no longer in the childs life.
    sw06

Answer by sw06 at 8:47 PM on Jan. 20, 2010

• i think it's extremely important for your child to have that paternal connection..
    i wish wish WISH i knew my father's last name..
    :(
    Anonymous

• ...no matter what, that man will always be your child's biological father.
    katatrinakay

Answer by katatrinakay at 8:55 PM on Jan. 20, 2010

• I don't think it matters whether you are married or not simply because its his and your child...not just yours. I agree with Christaberk that its something you should discuss together. Consider a hyphenated name as well. But I don't think being unwed should mean the father isn't considered, especially if he plans to be there for his child as a true father.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 8:57 PM on Jan. 20, 2010