Can I refuse all medical intervention for my hospital birth?

My state doesn't allow home births by mid wife. I want a very natural birth though. Can I have the baby at the hospital and have no meds, no iv, no monitors, ect... and no vaccine or eye meds for my baby?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:46 PM on Jan. 20, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I am seeing a LOT of scared women here who have no knowledge of how the birth process works, or how the cascade of interventions works. A lot of "distress" is detected on heart monitors if they are continuous. In 1975 the external monitor was introduced and since then the C-section rate went from 5% to 33%, with LITTLE TO NO INCREASE IN DESIREABLE OUTCOMES.

OP, you can refuse everything. You can request that your intermittent monitoring be carried out by a PERSON with a DOPPLER instead of them making you lay in bed with the wires for 15 or 20 minutes every hour. You may have to sign waivers for everything, but they cannot even do the eye prophylaxis without your concent, even if it is a state law. I agree that showing up at the last minute is a good plan, except riding in the car in transition sucks hardcore.

Don't let the scared sheep here dissuade you. You know you can do this!
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 11:50 AM on Jan. 24, 2010

• WHY would you refuse anything that may help your baby?!?!?
    you can refuse meds, but the rest is for the baby's sake!!
    Anonymous

• Yes, you can refuse it.

Have you thought about going to a birthing center? Also, having a doula there to speak for you may help you face the hospital staff.
    christaberk

Answer by christaberk at 8:49 PM on Jan. 20, 2010

• Absolutely. It will be helpful to have a written birth plan filed with the hospital; be sure to give your doctor a copy, too.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:50 PM on Jan. 20, 2010

• The eye treatment is mandatory in some states. Check your state laws.
    You can opt for no vaccine, no pku, no vitamin k.
    You don't have to have meds, but some hospital policies may require you to have at least a heparin lock (in place of IV in case emergency surgery is necessary). However, my midwives told me just arrive at the hospital at the last minute so that there's no time to bother with the heparin lock.
    You can also opt for intermittent monitoring, I don't know about no monitoring.
    Call you hospital/doctor and find out what the existing policies include.
    Anonymous

• yes you can. and don't listen about how it's for the baby's sake. you do the research and do what you feel is best. eye drops are not necessary but research it. and vaccines are up to you. i didn't get mine vaxed. make sure you put it in your birth plan and don't let your baby out of your sight. also, make sure you have someone there who can make decisions for you (ie. husband, mom, etc.) good luck mama!
    Michelle451

Answer by Michelle451 at 8:51 PM on Jan. 20, 2010

• I do not want anything to hinder the natural birthing process. Having a baby is the most natural thing in the world! Women have been doing it for years. It wasn't until the last 100 year or so that the medical field went so hey wire about all the intervention. If anything went wrong then yes they may intervene but I don't need their help if everything is going as it should. Like nature intended.
    Anonymous

• How about an iv port,monitoring,no drugs,no vaccines til 2 month checkup,and yes to the eye meds(just wipe it off,i did)If something should happen,you're risking them knowing and being able to intervene.You could be risking both your lives.Women still die in childbirth.
    TMJ121099

Answer by TMJ121099 at 8:51 PM on Jan. 20, 2010

• and what happens if the cord "naturally" gets around the baby's neck and the heart rate drops but you dont know b/c your not hooked to monitors?

I had an emergency c section, and was close to loosing my son, had there been no monitors I would have lost him...
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 8:53 PM on Jan. 20, 2010

• yes you can atleast in my state, but we also have home births so i would ask your midwife about it. and also to avoid as much as possible leave for the hospital later rather than early. me personally i want the meds so i will leave asap but if you dont want anything then leave at the last min. way to go on natural birthing. i'm to scared to go that way, but i do hear that it is a very great experience. sorry about spelling
    Anonymous