I'm sure I'll be bashed, but I honestly do need help. To use PA or to not use PA...?

Ok I work at a job right now and make $2070/month. I am a single mom of an 18 month old girl and I don't get ANYTHING for child support. Currently I get state help that give my DD medical coupons (medical insurance), just her, NOT me! And I get some help with day care, so I currently pay $225/month. That is all the help I get. So today I was asked, or it was suggested that I apply for a position that pays $2400/month, at which point I will no longer be eligible for any state help. The problem is, things are INCREDIBLY tight as they are, and that $330/month raise (BEFORE taxes) would be great, but $100+ would go to insurance, and the other $225 would go to day care, so in reality I would be bringing home less money than I do now! I would LOVE to get in a position where I don't need help from the state, but I also don't want to put my DD in a situation where she doesn't have insurance or a place to live. What should I do? :-(

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:49 PM on Jan. 20, 2010 in Money & Work

• do what you need to to make sure your baby can keep insurance
    and good luck to you
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 8:50 PM on Jan. 20, 2010

• If you're gaining more experience and putting yourself in a better position with the offered position, do that.
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 8:51 PM on Jan. 20, 2010

• The point of state aid is to get out of it eventually. Don't trap yourself because you want PA.
    Anonymous

• There is no reason for you to not get child support. Apply for it. As for the other, Insurance is a must with small children.

Answer by admckenzie at 8:53 PM on Jan. 20, 2010

• My husband makes less money than that per month, pays child support to his ex, and we are a family of 5 and we manage without PA just fine. Either you live someplace really expensive or you don't manage your money very well.
    Anonymous

• i would make sure that you can have insurance for the little one. I dont know where you live, but I know that if I made either of those amounts I would be able to support myself and my child and more. I guess I would do whatever you can to better yourself. If this new position will give you more opportunities, I think it would be smart to apply and cut back wherever else you can so that you can still get insurance for your daughter.

Its really hard being so close to the cut off for assistance because it isn't intended to stay on it and most people don't want to live on it forever, but it can be hard to get off of it and still support your children.
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 9:00 PM on Jan. 20, 2010

• OP here: He doesn't pay his child support. It is only $25/month, but he doesn't pay it. :-**

And anon :54 I guess I must live some place expensive! I don't get any help from ANYONE ELSE. I pay for rent, power, my car, groceries, phone, internet, SCHOOL, W/S/G, etc. I pay for everything all by myself. I live in a little trailer and am buying an old used car. Its not like I live in luxury or anything!
    Anonymous

• Apply for a position that pays $2400/month. Pay insurance for your child as well as the child care. It would be the right thing to do.
    Anonymous

• stay where you are at your present job to keep your dd insured. Health insurance through employers is rising in cost and also diminishing in its' good qualities to counteract the rise of cost. Taking the new job doesn't place you too much better than where you are right now except for experience, references for the future.

The reality of the world is that those are good but most important is providing for our families honorably. Using p a honorably as you are is not bad.

You received a good offer for a new job so you have good skills. Likely sometime an even better job could come giving you even more money. Don't take a job that could be cost effective but endangering your most important needs right now, insurance for little one plus food and shelter. Stay honorable like you are to your dd and aid received.
    lfl

Answer by lfl at 9:03 PM on Jan. 20, 2010

• I would stay with the state help because you have that for sure and jobs come and go now adays. I would only agree to drop the state help if you were makeing alot more.
    3beautbabies

Answer by 3beautbabies at 9:15 PM on Jan. 20, 2010