Question about anemia

My teenage daughter has been anemic for some time now. She is taking iron pills and the doctor has checked her blood three times. The iron in her blood that is available for immediate use is rising but there is another type of iron that the body stores for later use and it is not rising. Has anyone heard of this? Her doctor says that he is not too concerned yet but he also doesn't know why this is happening. He is now beginning to do other tests.

momtoeight

Asked by momtoeight at 9:00 PM on Jan. 20, 2010 in Health

• Here is a link to iron-rich foods: www.soystache.com/iron

Be sure that she eats a vitamin C source with the iron, to increase the absorbtion of the iron. She should avoid dairy, as this can leach iron.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:15 PM on Jan. 20, 2010

• I am anemic and it's due to an abnormality in the shape of my blood cells. I had to have my blood sent to the Mayo Clinic to find out what the problem was. Even with iron pills and multiple supplements, I still have low iron. I have had to be hospitalized a couple of times for blood transfusions because my iron was dangerously low. After receiving two units of blood, I still test as anemic.
    The whole time I was growing up, the drs just said "you have anemia" It was one dr when I was in my 30s that suggested this abnormality and tested for it. It doesn't really help to know what the problem is, there isn't anything they can do to fix it. It's just something I have to live with. But it does mean the drs no longer bother me about eating more iron rich foods or taking more supplements - it won't help.

Answer by missanc at 9:18 PM on Jan. 20, 2010

• Maybe she is lacking in B12? This can contribute to anemia.
    Lexylex

Answer by Lexylex at 9:53 AM on Jan. 21, 2010

• I thought of B12 because it can cause pernicious anemia and she had an uncle die of this. The doctor says no. She is not showing enough symptoms of that.
    momtoeight

Answer by momtoeight at 11:18 PM on Jan. 23, 2010