Is this a good thing?

WASHINGTON – Chastened by the Democratic Senate loss in Massachusetts, President Barack Obama and congressional allies signaled Wednesday they may try to scale back his sweeping health care overhaul in an effort to at least keep parts of it alive.

A simpler, less ambitious bill emerged as an alternative only hours after the loss of the party's crucial 60th Senate seat forced the Democrats to slow their all-out drive to pass Obama's signature legislation despite fierce Republican opposition. The White House is still hoping the House can pass the Senate bill in a quick strike, but Democrats are now considering other options.

cont....

Friday

Asked by Friday at 9:07 PM on Jan. 20, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Friday

Answer by Friday at 9:09 PM on Jan. 20, 2010

• They have backed off so much on this health care reform that they are desperate to get anything passed. IMO they took the teeth out long ago. I understand the feeling among some dem legislators is that they need to get anything passed just to get the conversation rolling. I would love to see a lot more regulation and a public option as well, but that's long gone. This whole bill is basically dead in the water now.
    stacymomof2

Answer by stacymomof2 at 9:19 PM on Jan. 20, 2010

• It could be, if they don't screw it up again. It is nice to see that finally SOMEONE with a D after their name is actually paying attention to what the people want. Shame it took them an entire year to do it
    "But House Majority Leader Steny Hoyer, D-Md., said a more modest approach would be a "reasonable alternative" that could appeal to the public even if Republicans still oppose it.

"Given the public concern, I think that we ought to focus on that which...the public can support and will be positive in terms of making health care more affordable and obtainable," he said.
    "
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 9:22 PM on Jan. 20, 2010

• "A simpler, less ambitious bill emerged as an alternative only hours after the loss"

Don't you love a bill that affects most Americans can been written in a few hours? Seems like some time and consideration would be a really good idea.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 9:28 PM on Jan. 20, 2010

• Have to see what comes of it....

I would prefer that they work together but that would require no more CLOSED door meetings and no more CENSURING members that WORK with the other side

Maybe they should do teh C-SPAN CAMERAS NOW!!??

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 9:28 PM on Jan. 20, 2010

• It's probably faster to write when you leave out 1800 pages of pork, lobbyist perks and bribes.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 9:29 PM on Jan. 20, 2010

• What Not/Pan said...
    agentwanda

Answer by agentwanda at 9:31 PM on Jan. 20, 2010

• "It's probably faster to write when you leave out 1800 pages of pork, lobbyist perks and bribes. "

LMAO!
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 9:40 PM on Jan. 20, 2010

• I would LOVE LOVE LOVE to see HC REFORM. It shouldn't take that many pages and I am pretty sure it could get FULL bipartisan support (well except for the crazies on both ends). A scaled back version that STILL doesn't have ANY real reform and STILL has the BRIBES and PORK in it is STILL a bill that does NOT need to go through. Passing a bill (that will cost Billions instead of Trillions) just say you did it is stupid.
    momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 9:46 PM on Jan. 20, 2010

• Hmm. I wonder.

In any negotiation, you ask for far more than you expect to get. You ask for the sun, moon and stars, with the expectation that you will end up with only the sun. And when that happens, both sides walk away happy.

I wonder whether that is actually what's happening here? The original proposal was far more than anyone ever truly expected to pass...with the intent that only part of it would go through.

And the psychology behind it? Knowing that ANY proposal put through would get strong opposition. So...propose more than you really want and then get what you really want passed. The other side can claim victory but you still got what you wanted in the first place.

Maybe I'm thinking this way because I've just been in some negotiations that worked exactly that way.

Answer by gdiamante at 10:05 PM on Jan. 20, 2010