any suggestions on getting a 10 month old nursing baby to start drinking more water?

wellsymom

Asked by wellsymom at 9:55 PM on Jan. 20, 2010 in Food & Drink

• I could be wrong but I was under the impression when I was nursing my DD for 13 months that she did not need to drink water and that my breastmilk was all that she needed in the form of fluids
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 9:56 PM on Jan. 20, 2010

• babies do not 'need' water.

breast milk (or formula) is sufficient fluid - unless theres illness when baby is severely dehydrated and pedialyte or something is recommended.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 9:59 PM on Jan. 20, 2010

• No need. Breastmilk is mostly water and baby should NOT be drinking that much of any other liquid.

Answer by gdiamante at 10:10 PM on Jan. 20, 2010

• wait another 2 months, s/he will probably start drinking more all by her/himself.
    Arisce

Answer by Arisce at 12:38 AM on Jan. 21, 2010

• Offer a sippy cup with water a couple of times a day. Eventually, it will catch on.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:26 AM on Jan. 21, 2010

• I don't think she needs more water, she'll get plenty from your breast milk. If you are practicing a sippy, that's one thing and you can put the breast milk in it. But if you're just wanting her to have more water, she won't need it yet.
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 11:17 AM on Jan. 21, 2010