How can you tell if a child is genious?

i have a three year old whome has been diagnosed with deveopmental delays. she cant talk well, i cant potty train her, and today she just started writing things and spelling correctly and everything. its jsut single words like done, eat, color,baby, shoe. where could she have learned this? its so out of the blue it just floored me!

cassie_m

Asked by cassie_m at 9:59 PM on Jan. 20, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Have her tested

Answer by admckenzie at 10:00 PM on Jan. 20, 2010

• Amazing! Good for her! Ask her doctor about this to find out more about it.

Answer by Bmat at 10:01 PM on Jan. 20, 2010

• whaat?? that's amazing. your child is gifted! some kids thrive in some areas and don't do so well in others. (obviously, einstein didn't start talking until he was 3 right?) keep encouraging her! =) congratulations! bring it up with a doctor. "developmental delays" my arse!
    Anonymous

• IMO doctors, teachers and "therapists" are FAR too eager to slap labels and "diagnoses" on children these days. I would definitely get a second opinion on your child's "delays". She's 3! How can they tell any of this stuff about her at such a young age?
    She sounds like she's special, not slow. I hope she proves those idiots wrong :)
    Allergic2Stupid

Answer by Allergic2Stupid at 10:54 PM on Jan. 20, 2010

• Gifted children often are difficult to potty train.

This is a great resouce: http://www.ctd.northwestern.edu/

Answer by rkoloms at 6:23 AM on Jan. 21, 2010

• Amazing! You have a very bright little girls there! You should tell her doctor, that's really amazing!
    lovemytwinsters

Answer by lovemytwinsters at 7:26 AM on Jan. 21, 2010

• Would it change what you are doing with her? I would think you are doing the same things you would be if she is gifted. You can have her tested, but it doesn't really matter. My 9 year old was diagnosed with ASD when he was 2 - he now classified as AG in the "highly gifted" category, which is a very low percentage of kids that are in AG. But he's still a 9 year old boy and we encourage not only the school enrichment activities, but also basketball practice and free play outside with his friends.
    Have fun with your daughter, enjoy her delays and her achievements - that's what makes her who she is!

Answer by missanc at 8:00 AM on Jan. 21, 2010

• She may be hyperlexic.
    haysmum

Answer by haysmum at 8:08 AM on Jan. 21, 2010

• There are some great links and resources at the Mothers of gifted children group.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:41 AM on Jan. 21, 2010

• After thinking over this (I have a 12 year old with autism, and then my 9 yo I mentioned in my post, an 8 yo AG child and a typical 14 month old), if she has a delay in receptive/expressive language, even if you have her IQ tested it probably wouldn't show up in the gifted range depending on how delayed she is in the language area. Most IQ tests are language based so it's very difficult to measure the IQ of a child who has delays in that area. We had my 12 year old tested a few years ago by an "expert" in the field of autism. His comment was that my son's IQ was testing in the 60s, but he thought it was actually much higher and as his expressive/receptive language skills increased that he would probably be testing in the normal range at some point. So I'm not sure about testing for your daughter. You could ask, but I'm not sure you'd get an accurate read on her skills.

Answer by missanc at 8:56 AM on Jan. 21, 2010