Can your kindergartener do this?

I KNOW some kids can, but it it really considered "behind" for my 5 yr old to not be able to write a complete sentence on her own WITH CORRECT capitalization, spaces and punctuation, and read small books??? Her teacher said she needs to be able to do those things and is falling behind. I can't believe that is considered behind. She can sound out simple words like bag, bug, ect... and read simple sentences like "It is hot". She just turned 5 in June so she is one of the younger ones, should I have started her a year later? I really think she is in the range of normal.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:03 PM on Jan. 20, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• mine couldn't. my middle is in grade one and learning sight words and letters and sounds right now to be able to put them together in sentences with punctuation. kindergarten they learned the letters and started on the sounds and some punctuation.

my oldest is in grade 3 and struggles with punctuation - but she does things so fast that she doesn't pay attention
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 10:07 PM on Jan. 20, 2010

• By todays standards she is behind if she can not do this. If she can not do this by the end of the year she does need to be held behind a grade. She will not be able to keep up with her work in 1st grade if she can't do these things. Work with her until the school year is up. Read with her EVERY night and have her read to you as well. Good luck.
    My own son was doing this in pre-school at age 4.
    ronjwake

Answer by ronjwake at 10:09 PM on Jan. 20, 2010

• Im a kindergarten teacher and by todays standards she is not behind. Some teachers may look at what the other kids can do and say your child is behind. Ask the teacher to see the standards. Most kindergarten standards say the kids should be able to capitalize the beginning of a sentence, know how to use punctuation, and begins to phonetically spell words.

You do have some that can write sentences because I do but because they cant doesnt mean they are behind. By the end of Kindergarten she should be able to write, I can run. Thats considered a complete sentence in Kindergarten.

If you tell me what state and county you are in I can look up the standard and tell you what it says.

If you want to work with her, help her phonetically spell words. Help her with sight words such as the, like, a, am, my, is. I teach my students that when they write the are talking. I say to start talking you have to put a ...cont.
    Anonymous

• I agree with ronjwake. Mine is writing longer sentences than that. I was informed during the summer before mine started kindergarten that he was supposed to be reading going in to kindergarten. I guess that makes it really easy on the teachers.

legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 10:15 PM on Jan. 20, 2010

• wow there's a glaring difference in the requirements and standards isn't there?

hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 10:17 PM on Jan. 20, 2010

• Anon:15 I am curious at where you are at. I do know in our school system they do have check lists that require these things on the childrens report cards. Although my son is now a Freshman in high school, I still have his report card from Kindergarden and looked to make sure I was correct :)
    ronjwake

Answer by ronjwake at 10:22 PM on Jan. 20, 2010

• "Although my son is now a Freshman in high school"

You can't be that old! Sorry, I just thought I'd bust your chops a bit! LOL, you look way too young to have a freshman.

legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 10:25 PM on Jan. 20, 2010

• We are in Texas, I would love to know what the standards are if you could do that for me. Thank you all for your input.
    Anonymous

• we're in canada.

definitely a totally different system - and thankfully back to doing phonics teaching.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 10:26 PM on Jan. 20, 2010

• You can't be that old! Sorry, I just thought I'd bust your chops a bit! LOL, you look way too young to have a freshman.

LOL, I am closing in on 40 legal. But thank you :)
    ronjwake

Answer by ronjwake at 10:29 PM on Jan. 20, 2010