what to expect when being induced? how to prepare myself?

i'm finally scheduled to be induced next wednesday and i dontknow whta to expect or what to do the night before or what to eat and or bring with me? any ideas help please im very excited!!!!!!

graciause

Asked by graciause at 10:07 PM on Jan. 20, 2010 in Pregnancy

• It is different for everyone.
    Are you overdue? HAve you started to dialate?
    IF you havent then inducetion may be rough on you and you may NOT dialate very fair you will run a high risk of ending up in csection.

Check with your dr about eating and drinking. Some tell you not too after a certaintime the night before.
    You wont be able to at all in labor.
    Just bring your stuff with you your clothes all that.

Induction contractions are harder than normal ones so be ready for ALOT of pain.
    Also know that induction does not mean vaginal birth.
    Some babies cant handle it and things can happen.
    No it doesnt happen all the time but it happens more than women will admit.
    Anonymous

• be prepared for things happening fairly quick! and when they offer an epidural really consider taking it =/ i tried super duper hard without it.. an let me say it was no easy task... made it to 7 cm an had to get it an felt amazing after!

just stay calm an relaxed :) your baby will be here soon!!
    akalei

Answer by akalei at 10:13 PM on Jan. 20, 2010

• Just pack the same things as you would for any delivery.

The cons to being induced - they say the contractions are more intense and painful, and they need to monitor pitocin levels carefully to not let the contractions get dangerously strong.

The pros - you can take a shower and eat a good (carb-loading-give-you-energy-for-pushing) meal just before going in, and you can get an epidural (if that's your choice) as early as you want, so you don't have to feel much pain if you don't want to.

I was induced, they took it easy starting with a "ripening cream" for a few hours, then breaking my water and seeing how that went for a few hours, then last of all doing the pitocin drip. I got my epidural early, so I spent most of the day just relaxing and watching mythbusters.

I honestly would not mind being induced again; though I hope I don't go over-due so much this time to need it.
    mogencreative

Answer by mogencreative at 10:16 PM on Jan. 20, 2010

• if you arent over due or it isent a medical need, I wouldnt induce. I agreed to induction at 38 weeks and my labor was 21 hrs and I was at 10cm for 3 of those hours! Word of advice, once they break your water, take the offer for an epidural! I was there on the pitocin for 7 hrs with nothing but mild contractions (like the BHs). But once my water was broken within 45 mins I was screaming. My water was broken at 4cm and (which took 7 hrs to do) but within 2 hrs after my water breaking at was 8 1/2 cm and I could not get an epidorual b/c the guy that did it was stuck in a c-section. So I fought at 8-9cm for 3 straight additional hours with no pain help. So take the epidorual offer when they are ready. I could have gotten one at 4cm but said no and ended up not able to get one until I was 9cm. And b/c I got one so late, I pushed for 3hrs to get him here. And eat a GOOD meal before bc you cant eat from check in, til baby is born
    Super09Mom

Answer by Super09Mom at 10:34 PM on Jan. 20, 2010

• It completely depends on the person/doctor/baby. I was induced on thursday and finally had my little guy on sunday morning (2:57am) via c-section. Some people are induced and within a few hours have delivered their babies, others (like myself) have been induced and spent 3 days in labor. Is there some reason they are inducing you? high blood pressure? overdue? etc...? That too can play into your experience as well. Good luck
    finallyamom40

Answer by finallyamom40 at 10:37 PM on Jan. 20, 2010

• Supermom must have had a different experience than me, I was able to eat at least one meal a day while in the hospital on pitocin waiting to have my baby.
    finallyamom40

Answer by finallyamom40 at 10:38 PM on Jan. 20, 2010

• Like everything, people have good and bad experiences to tell you about. I think a lot depends on the nursing staff and the doctors on shift.
    Go in with a positive mind that you are going to endure whatever comes because the end result is you will have your baby in your arms. That thought in itself can get most mothers through (and OVER) anything.
    I wish you luck momma! You can do it and you'll do great :)
    Allergic2Stupid

Answer by Allergic2Stupid at 10:48 PM on Jan. 20, 2010

• Good lord people, don't allow the doctors to give you Pitocin if it's not medically necessary. Go read about the stuff.
    There are many different kinds of induction, I think the experience is different depending which kind of induction you have. It's also very different for each person.
    Anonymous

• My induction went easy! only about 11hours of labor, never felt anything thanks to pain meds! Thank God for thoses anyways.
    Take clothes for you to wear to stay/go home.
    Shampoo to take shower...trust me you're gonna want one.
    Take baby a change of clothes,
    Don't worry about diapers or formula if you're not breastfeeding( I didn't) they have all that there
    They probably won't let you eat after 12pm so eat WHATEVER you want before.

Just think you'll have that buddle of joy soon! GOOD LUCK!
    rebel07

Answer by rebel07 at 12:55 PM on Jan. 21, 2010