getting my almost 2 yr old to sleep in his own bed?

so my son is 20 months old and has been sleeping with me till about 3 days ago i started putting him to bed in his room in his toddler bed. the first night he got out and climbed on me after 45 minutes he fell asleep but i had to lay on his floor. 2nd night he fell asleep in about 20 minutes again with me sitting next to his bed. ive been letting him cry a little bit and then i go in and comfort him and let him know im here. so tonight is the third night and he has been in his room now for 7 miinutes crying "mama" over and over. how long do i wait to go in and comfort him? 10 mintues? 5? im unsure all i know is that i dont want him falling asleep with me in his room cause i dont want to have to sleep on his floor every night

lululovexox

Asked by lululovexox at 10:08 PM on Jan. 20, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• follow a bed time routine bath, book, hugs, bed turn some soft music on tell him its bedtime & you love him then walk away.
    If he gets out the first time say it's bed time, the second & any other times say nothing just pick him up & put him back in bed.. allow him to cry it out if necessary..
    maiahlynn

Answer by maiahlynn at 10:22 PM on Jan. 20, 2010

• i have to agree with the previous persons answer. I just went throught this with my daughter. I followed what the doctor suggested. I thought she was crazy...I thought there is no way i can do this. So we put our daughter in her bed and everytime she got up we put her back in her bed and let her cry. It took like 100 times of putting her back in her bed and lots and lots of crying but every night she would eventually fall asleep. 8 days later she was doing great with it. So you need try really hard to just let him cry it out. in the long run it will be well worth the agaony for both of you.
    tammylynn34

Answer by tammylynn34 at 11:25 AM on Jan. 21, 2010

• Letting them cry it out is HARD!! ...with Gabriella I did it when she was around 8 months and then when she was 18 months. but now if that were to happen with Ron I think I would be way too weak to do it LOL...however it does work if you're consistent! I personally found that it would get worse when I would go in and comfort Gabriella...that would just upset her even more bc then I would walk away and she would go absolutely nuts. I see you posted this a few days ago....how has he been since then???
    MrsPilat

Answer by MrsPilat at 9:54 AM on Jan. 22, 2010

• last night was the 4th night and i let him cry it out without going in and he was asleep in 16 minutes. all alone. slept thru the whole night and woke up at 8 am :) 11 hours later was climbing in my bed giving me morning kisses
    lululovexox

Answer by lululovexox at 11:09 AM on Jan. 22, 2010