Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

when do you know you should stay at home /or go to the hospital?

i am 33 wks pregnant and work a full time job, help with house work, and help with my 14 month old lil girl .
i work form 1 :30 pm to 10 pm i drive 25 min to and from work 6 days a week.
i think its time to put in for my maternity leave but my job is only givein me 30 days.
because i just started in december 2009. i have not been with the company very long for them to give me more time off.
i was told to talk to my doctor. if she writes a letter than i can have more time off
but if not i'm up s*** creek.
so what do you ladys think?????
i am also having bh contractions.
i had them with my daughter 2 week before she was born (35wks born)
i am just worried i have had these pains for like 7 days now and i'm getting unsure.
i haven't been to the doctor yet.
but i have a doc appt on the 26ththis tuesday coming up.
so hope i am fine and don't have another early baby!!!!!
any suggetions <

Answer Question

Asked by mika1984 at 10:27 PM on Jan. 20, 2010 in Pregnancy

Level 1 (0 Credits)
Answers (5)
  • if you fear early labor then you dont need to be working hard. Maybe get a letter to cut hours if you can afford to do so. The baby's health and well being are very important. Typcially a baby's lungs are NOT fully formed yet at 33 weeks. Average "safe" number that doctors say is 37 weeks before the baby is ready to be independant from you and enter this world.

    Answer by Super09Mom at 10:40 PM on Jan. 20, 2010

  • Braxton Hicks contractions can occur at any time during your pregnancy, so do not assume that you are about to go into labor. The same goes for your prior pregnancy. You may very well go full term with this one. Since this is not your first experience with BH, you know the difference between them and real contractions. Just pay attention to the timing of the contractions... when you have four to six contractions for two hours in a row, it's time to go to the hospital.

    Since you are new to the company, it would be better if you waited to take your time off - you will want to spend those precious first weeks with your newborn. If you honestly believe that you need to stop working early, you should speak with someone in your company's Human Resources Department regarding additional time off.


    Answer by neebug3766 at 10:43 PM on Jan. 20, 2010

  • ok...heres the thing i would do, if i was close to my doc i would talk to her about writing the letter to get u out a little early. but if u dont then i would honestly consider faking some pains and seeing if they would get u out that way lol. those kind of hours ur working are pretty hecktic and r gonna need the rest. 30 days isnt even 6 weeks and unless u want to go to work soon i would be lookin up the policies and laws for the state.

    Answer by Anonymous at 12:57 AM on Jan. 21, 2010

  • You should head to the hospital if: your membranes break (there will be a couple tablespoons of blood), your water breaks, or if during your contractions you find it difficult to continue what you are doing (ie:/ having to stop, bend over, and breathe through the pain)

    Answer by alinker at 1:17 AM on Jan. 21, 2010

  • i think you need to go to the dr and see whats up first, your job only giving you 30 days is 30 days paid you cant return to work until your six weeks are up and your dr signs the okay. if your in pre term labor they will put you on bed rest and you cant work your job has to deal with it they cant fire you bc your pregnant. you may be able to talk to your work get less hours of light work load if possible i know its not at mine. i work 40+ hours a week on 2nd shift and also have a 14 month old, only two months pregnant tho so im good to go for awhile tho. just put your baby first and yourself you dont want to regret it later.

    Answer by letlovegrow at 2:29 AM on Jan. 21, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.