what is krup??

The doctor told me today my 7 week old has the krup but I dont have any idea. Does anyone else?

armywife698959

Asked by armywife698959 at 10:32 PM on Jan. 20, 2010 in Kids' Health

• The croup, and it is a respiratory disease common in babies and younger kids. Here it is in a nutshell: Croup is an infectious illness of the respiratory system involving the voice box and vocal cords (larynx), windpipe (trachea), and the airways leading to the lungs (bronchial tubes). It is usually caused by many different viruses, including those responsible for the common cold and influenza. Occasionally, it is caused by a bacterial infection. Croup can result in serious breathing difficulties in children. It is more common in babies over 6 months of age and young children, and it occurs more often in boys than girls. It tends to occur more often in the winter months when the weather is colder.http://www.medicinenet.com/croup/article.htm

balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 11:01 PM on Jan. 20, 2010

• here is my explaination lol it is a cough that sounds like a seal, a cool mist huminifier will help or even a vaporizer in his room also keeping his head elevated (up higher than body) will help, mine always slept better in car seat than laying flat. keep the doctor number handy in case you notice any changes in condition. good luck!!
    ohio4

Answer by ohio4 at 12:25 AM on Jan. 21, 2010

• Croup sucks. My 6 year old got it 4 times a year for 3 years. The best thing i found was to take her outside in the cold air for a few minutes and that helped. If you are really concerned you should take your little one to the Er. They will give them a breathing treatment and that really helps if nothing else you try does. Its pretty crazy to hear you little on bark like a dog when they get it.
    nickyconry

Answer by nickyconry at 3:00 AM on Jan. 21, 2010

• It's croup not krup.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 4:31 PM on Jan. 21, 2010