How do I reverse a late bedtime for a toddler?

My son used to go to bed at 730 or 8 every night, without a fight. Lately, we're putting him to bed at 10...I know, I know, we've been incredibly lucky. But now what? I don't have the time patience or energy to deal with a 10pm bedtime, so how do i switch him back?

sweetphoenix529

Asked by sweetphoenix529 at 10:40 PM on Jan. 20, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• get him up earlier. and cut back his nap(s) if he still takes them
    Super09Mom

Answer by Super09Mom at 10:41 PM on Jan. 20, 2010

• See the article "How to put your child to bed without tears"  here http://www.ehow.com/how_5237198_put-child-bed-tears.html

and see some bedtime books which are explained in the article http://astore.amazon.com/wwwcjkidzcom3-20?%5Fencoding=UTF8&node=23

momjs

Answer by momjs at 10:58 PM on Jan. 20, 2010

• What worked with my first was cutting bedtime back by 15 minutes per week until I reached the time I wanted him to be in bed. So if he goes to bed at 10, then this week start his bedtime routine 15 minutes earlier than usual and have in down by 9:45. Do that for a whole week then make it 9:30 for week #2, and so on. Consider something to use on the windows when the days get longer so that the daylight wont be a factor in his not wanting to go to sleep, and try to have dinner at least an hour or two before bedtime to help avoid any night time tummy aches. Good Luck.
    Krysden

Answer by Krysden at 11:14 PM on Jan. 20, 2010

• I agree with the gradual approach - move it up by 15 mins at a time so he doesn't really notice a whole lot of difference.

Answer by missanc at 8:15 AM on Jan. 21, 2010

• Do it gradually or if you cant face the time it will take go with him, and sleep in the room with him until he drops off
    niceandspice

Answer by niceandspice at 8:37 AM on Jan. 21, 2010