Birthmark on face

Our son was born with a birthmark on his forehead that the dr said won't go away. It's the color of his skin or a bit lighter and it's a bit raised. It does get quite orange/red if he rubs it or if it's irritated. It's about an inch in length and 1/4-1/2 in diameter ... we haven't had a consultation with a surgeon yet, so we don't know if it's an option to remove it (or if laser would maybe help), but we would like to have it removed if it's a possibility. What would you do? Do you think you would remove it or leave it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:52 PM on Jan. 20, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I would consider removing it. It would be a hard thing though. The other thing is to think about cancer. Aren't birth marks like those more susestable to cancer?
    Anonymous

• Give it about a year and then check into it I babysit a little boy who is a year and a half when I started to babysit him he was 7 months and he had a birthmark on his forehead now you see him and it was like he never had it just give it time it just might go away by itself.
    Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 11:22 PM on Jan. 20, 2010

• see if there are other moms to talk with that have been in the same situation maybe?
    VelvetCat

Answer by VelvetCat at 11:23 PM on Jan. 20, 2010

• I guess it would depend on how noticable it is or like the anon. above said...if it posed a greater risk for skin cancer. I've never heard anything about that though so I don't know. You have to remember though that as his head/face gets bigger, the birthmark will look smaller. So it might seem big now but thats because his face is so tiny. I would just wait it out and see. I had a friend who was born with a huge strawberry birthmark on her nose/eye. It was HUGE and her parents were obviously planning on getting it removed but it started to go away as she got older, and by the time she was like 4 it was completely gone.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 11:24 PM on Jan. 20, 2010

• They will probably advise you to wait to see it's full size and color etc. I actually would laser it. I don't mean to be shallow but let's face it, he'll feel less self conscious with it gone. I have a friend who kept the gigantic birth mark (not a port wine stain) on her son and he's 16 now and it's all I see when I look at him. IDK, maybe it's just me.
    Anonymous

• once you see the doctor they will advise on the time frame of being removed, you are right just a lazer treatment no big deal good luck
    ohio4

Answer by ohio4 at 11:52 PM on Jan. 20, 2010

• my daughter has a mole on the side of her nose. we are not going to do anything with it. if it is a problem for her when she is an adult, then she can take care of it then. otherwise, i believe God gave it to her, so who am i to take it away?
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 10:18 AM on Jan. 21, 2010