Does Haiti compare to Katrina?

I have read SO many posts on here these past few days with people saying they aren't going to donate to Haiti because Haiti didn't donate to the U.S. after Katrina. IMO, devastating and destructive as Katrina was, it still does not compare to Haiti's disaster. I just read this article and I think it is very well stated. What are your opinions?

Link in answer below

AprilDJC

Asked by AprilDJC at 10:56 PM on Jan. 20, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• they don't compare on a basis of everyday life. when katrina hit and people were misplaced, there was the super dome for example. people still had somewhere to lay their head and escape the carnage. people in haiti are fighting over toothpaste becuase putting a dab in their nose kills the stench of the death. dead bodies were removed quickly in NO. in haiti peole are tripping over their children and parents. they don't compare because of the living conditions. even before the earthquakes, the homeless in the US live like kings and queens comapre to what haiti faced on a daily basis
    ssnelson26

Answer by ssnelson26 at 12:55 AM on Jan. 21, 2010

• AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 10:56 PM on Jan. 20, 2010

• First off, I don't think there are any comparisons. Second, what exactly would Haiti have been able to do for us? I don't know why anyone would have said that, these people had nothing to begin with.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 11:01 PM on Jan. 20, 2010

• The people that made these remarks are ignorant to the fact that the average income in Haiti is $400-$600 a YEAR.
    ronjwake

Answer by ronjwake at 11:11 PM on Jan. 20, 2010

• We are the richest nation & when it all goes to hell we americans are always 1st to be called on.
    Anonymous

• There is NO comparison between the two!! And for the record, I find all the questions about how much and if you donated to be in very poor taste. I know this is CM and anything goes, but charitable giving is not the same if we have to tell everyone how much we donated. It is a very personal thing, some people are honestly not in a position to give $$, but they may have other things which are not desired at this time. But I don't think that any one of us should have to account to the other moms here about whether or not we gave. And as far as those who will not donate because Haiti didn't help us, well, fine. But charity is not "quid pro quo" And don't forget about Karma, either.
    29again

Answer by 29again at 12:23 AM on Jan. 21, 2010

• That is such a selfish and egocentric attitude. You donate or help because people are in need, not because they helped you or might in the future help you. I don't think Haiti has "called on" anyone. The world has offered what help they can because they can see it's needed. And the US is not the only country to not only send rescue workers, but offer monetary aid. Canada has commited $135M, which includes $50M that is the gov'ts matching of donations made to charitable organisations. Our DART (Disaster Assistance Relief Team) was on it's way to Haiti 12 hours after hearing of the earthquake.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 12:29 AM on Jan. 21, 2010

• i donated the sumetran earthquake on 04, haiti, katrina, in any way shape from i could
    ssnelson26

Answer by ssnelson26 at 12:56 AM on Jan. 21, 2010

• No comparisons to me because Katrina was a natural disaster that occurred in the US. The earthquake that happened in Haiti was in another country. I dont feel obliged to donate to Haiti. I would rather donate to those suffering from homelessness, joblessnes and what not in MY country. Obviously our president, congress and senate can give a crap about us so we have to take care of ourselves, not another country.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:04 AM on Jan. 21, 2010

• Haiti did donate like 25 million to katrina relief. The US turned it down.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 8:37 AM on Jan. 21, 2010