What will happen if you're 42 weeks pregnant and your body hasn't made ANY contractions at all, not even Braxton Hicks?

How long can your body go before the doctor will force you to be induced?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:01 PM on Jan. 20, 2010 in Just for Fun

• http://birthlove.cyclzone.com/pages/mama.html

Great link about mamas going past 42 weeks :)
    reflect1light

Answer by reflect1light at 9:07 AM on Jan. 21, 2010

• 42 weeks is really pushing it. You need to see your doctor ASAP. After 42 weeks, the baby is at risk due to a deteriorating placenta.
    neebug3766

Answer by neebug3766 at 11:06 PM on Jan. 20, 2010

• I don't know of any doctors around here that will let a woman go over 42 weeks.
    mogencreative

Answer by mogencreative at 11:14 PM on Jan. 20, 2010

• they can not force you to be induced, but your doc can refuse to be your doctor any farther though, after 42weeks every day after that it gets more and more dangerous for your baby...
    Mrshood09

Answer by Mrshood09 at 11:26 PM on Jan. 20, 2010

• If you don't go to the doctor and wait it out at home, nobody can force you to do anything. However, from my understanding, 42 is the limit for that placenta and you can deliver a dead baby by pushing that time line. Maybe your body not making any contractions at all is its way of telling you it needs help.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 11:43 PM on Jan. 20, 2010

• Oh time to get it out. Please go see your doc asap. You are risking your baby's life and your own as well.
    Allergic2Stupid

Answer by Allergic2Stupid at 12:13 AM on Jan. 21, 2010

• my doc was ready to induce 4 days after my date....so 14 days is pushing it, the baby could be losing oxygen by then.
    secondtyme520

Answer by secondtyme520 at 12:29 AM on Jan. 21, 2010

• You'll be induced. Your placenta cannot stay viable that long.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:56 AM on Jan. 21, 2010

• Yes there are women who go longer and have viable pregnancies, but statistically stillborn rates to start to rise after 42wks. I wouldn't risk it if I were you.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:24 AM on Jan. 21, 2010

• Actually, the statistics don't show a rise in stillbirth until 43 weeks, anon, and it's STILL smaller than the stillbirth rate at 38 weeks.

Mama, the lack of contractions isn't a huge deal. As long as baby is moving and healthy and you're feeling good, there really isn't anything to worry about.
    asaffell

Answer by asaffell at 1:56 AM on Jan. 21, 2010