cat in heat, ughh

Okay, so this is my first time owning a cat. Shes about 8 months old..and evidently shes in heat! I have googled it, and everything "in heat" mentions she is doing. Its so annoying, there is nothing here for her to mate with but shes determined there is, LOL. We ARE going to have her spayed,but we're having her declawed at the same time to save money with the ansthesia (sp?) fees and the post surgery meds. Anyways, question is.. is there anything I can give her like a treat or make a special bed or something to get her to just calm down? I mean, she is meowing and purring hard..and her butt is just in the air all day!

Bran6903

Asked by Bran6903 at 11:39 PM on Jan. 20, 2010 in Pets

• Nope, it won't stop until she has mated or is spayed.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 11:40 PM on Jan. 20, 2010

• and it lasts until then? we're only a few shy from the cost of having it done.
    Bran6903

Answer by Bran6903 at 11:41 PM on Jan. 20, 2010

• I'm in the same situation! My little girl can get quite annoying when she's in heat! She's so whiney! lol We are also planning to get her spayed. I was waiting until after the holidays to do it. The only thing you can do for her is pet her and give her lots of affection to help sooth during this time. There's really nothing else to do other than get her spayed.
    Court128

Answer by Court128 at 2:14 AM on Jan. 21, 2010

• Don't have your cat declawed!!!

You are basically amputating her toes when you do so.
    Acid

Answer by Acid at 10:07 AM on Jan. 21, 2010

• A female cat in heat will be in heat for up to 14 days. If not mated, she can go into heat again soon after the last heat cycle stops.

My computer posted before I was finished the other post. Declawing a cat is basically amputating its toes above the first digit. Cats claws (unlike dogs)are attached to its bones. It is not a toenail, but adhered to the actual bone in its foot. So, declawing is an amputation of your cat's "toes"

Declawing is a painful, un-necessary surgery that is mostly an Americanized ideal.

To stop a cat from scratching people, or furniture or whatever, get it some scratching posts. You can also purchase things called soft claws to fit over the claws.....

I think its inhumane and unnecessary, google declawing before you decide to do it...read up and then make an informed decision.
    Acid

Answer by Acid at 10:13 AM on Jan. 21, 2010

• I have scratching posts, she doesnt use them. She doesnt like toys, she's a sweet spoiled Siamese. I love animals, and i love her, but i love my children more. She gets a little too playful and i dont want her to end up scratching their face. She gets our legs if walk around the house at night, its cute and funny but it hurts. Vets know what they're doing, at least here i know they do, and she will have post-surgery pain meds.

Court- does your cat prefer someone in the house? Our cats favorite is my husband! and he thinks its so weird, ecspecially now since shes in heat he's a little grossed out at it haha. When he WALKS IN she screams her meow..and then waits for him to take his socks and shoes off (gross! after working 12hrs!) and she curls in them and just purrs and purrs.. sooo weird haha. Our dog (they're like best friends!) thinks she is playing because shes meowing so much and is just rolling around all the (cont'd
    Bran6903

Answer by Bran6903 at 10:22 AM on Jan. 21, 2010

• time and rubbing on the furniture and so the dog thinks shes playing..so shell run by her and try to play with her but that is not what the cat is wanting. Shell get so mad, i know she is just so frustrated! ha
    Bran6903

• LOL I feel for you. I have 9 cats & fortunately none of them ever came in heat. I always had them spade before they came in heat. Many years ago I did have a cat in heat & it wasn't funny. This cat climbed the walls trying to get out of the house. It lasted a very long time. There isn't really anything you can do about it. It will pass eventually. You mentioned having her de-clawed. A little word of advice if I may. Please don't get all 4 feet done,only the front 2. Cats need a way to defend themselves thus they need the back claws. Even if you are going to keep the cat indoors it could accidently get out & get in trouble with another cat or dog. I have seen cats climb trees with only back claws. Keep your fur baby safe. She'll love you for it a long,long time. Good luck!
    zoolady12

Answer by zoolady12 at 3:48 PM on Jan. 21, 2010

• I am, only the front paws, its what she swats with. She can keep her back claws :) and its not for furniture reasons, even tho it will help, its for the safey of my kids...because the cat and the boys are both pretty rowdy.  ;; shes been asleep most of today..for being up all night last night meowing in the front room..haha so shes been pretty calm. i thought they had heat like a dog, where they have it and then get over it til its time again. not the case here

Anonymous

• About the declawing issue. Just make sure you do lots of research before you get her declawed. It is a serious surgery and recovery can be very painful. Also this should definitely NOT be done if she ever goes outdoors. Her claws are her main defense against the outside world. I don't have anything against doing it as a last resort but it really needs to be a last resort. There are tips you apply to their nails that stay on for a certain amount of time that you can try. They cover up the nail so that they're not sharp but they're not permanent and not painful for the cat. http://www.softpaws.com/about.html

Try those before you get her declawed.
    Court128

Answer by Court128 at 10:40 PM on Jan. 21, 2010