So a previous post raises a good question. Your teens will probably drink alcohol, what is your plan for dealing with that?

Just curious.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:59 PM on Jan. 20, 2010 in General Parenting

• As for us. If they get drunk, we want them to know they can call us anytime and we will come get them. As for punishment, it will be up an at em at 6am sharp. Chores will be as follows: Vacuuming, mowing the lawn (if it is summer), washing the pots and pans (even if they are clean....there may be dust on them) and any other loud chores we can come up with. it will encourage them not to try it again. We believe in leading by example though. We will drink in front of our kids, but always in moderation. They will learn that the occasional drink is ok, when you are an adult. And that moderation is best. It is how I was raised, and I've only been drunk once in my life. And that was because my friend made a Seriously strong drink and I didn't realize how strong. Once they are 16 (and they'll know this) they'll be permitted a couple of sips of champagne on new years. At 18, half glass on special occasions, with strict rule.

katzmeow726

Answer by katzmeow726 at 2:56 AM on Jan. 21, 2010

• be completely honest....yes alcohol can be relaxing and even fun but i can get u killed and can get u locked up.....also that it will not be tolerated in my house until of age...(at least 18) i will make sure to show them how addictive it is and how many ppl have died from it!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:03 AM on Jan. 21, 2010

• I started drinking when I was 13. My parents didnt know I drank, and my dad said to me once "If you are going to be drinking, I dont want you riding home with anybody. Call me no matter what day or what time, and I will come pick you up and bring you home. Then you have to deal with your mother in the morning." He followed through with that too. Since I know my husband will be disaproving, when my daughter is ready, I will tell her the same thing. Except she has to deal with her father. I wont be proud that she would be drinking, and there would be consequences, but I would like to have an open honest relationship. I drank heavily and did drugs when I was younger, so I have quite some insight on the whole situation.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:06 AM on Jan. 21, 2010

• If our kids drink there will be serious consequences, I don't know what yet but there will be, lol. Honestly, it is going to be beat into their heads that they do not drink until they are 21, and then they do not drink and drive and they do not just drink to get drunk. To have a drink here and there with friends is one thing, to get wasted is another. When I was pregnant with our oldest we were hit with by a drunk driver which ruptured my membranes and caused our baby to come five weeks early. He ended up in the nicu for awhile. This story is going to be repeated to them numerous times growing up. Hopefully they will see the consequences of certain actions. Also, dh and I do not drink, it is not a part of our lives. Our parents also do not drink. It was never a big deal to us. Hopefully that cycle just continues with our children.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:24 AM on Jan. 21, 2010

• Dh and I are not drinkers, we dont even have a bottle of wine in the house. We teach our children the effects that alcohol have on the body when abused and how the chances of a person becoming an alcoholic increases greatly when the drinking begins early in life. So far so good.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:42 AM on Jan. 21, 2010

• I actually never drank...well I never got drunk....the only times I have drank, underage, was with my family lol -- but I was already married and a mother..and we would have wine or champaine (sp) .....

.....if I ever found them drinking...I would find one of those groups of the people who has had a family member killed by a drunk driver and let my kid talk to them...

i would never let them drink... but if they were older ( 18 + ) ... and were being responsible I probably wouldnt be that upset...
    glamomomo

Answer by glamomomo at 1:03 AM on Jan. 21, 2010

• Hubby and I don’t drink. We are not around people who drink. The only person we are ever around who drinks is hubby’s step father. The girls haven’t figured it out yet. We only see Papa and Granny about once a year. We do talk about it off and on. With my son, though, it is different. We talk about drinking and have for years. His dad was an alcoholic. His dad’s dad, and his dad’s brother, also. I have told him that it’s in his blood and he can not ever take a drink of any alcohol. The chances of him becoming addicted are too great. Right now, I don’t think it will be a problem. He doesn’t want to be anything like his dad. He wants to be like my hubby.

When I was in high school, I knew that people were drinking. They never asked me. And I never cared that they didn’t. I have never been pressured to drink. And I have never felt the need to.
    Leslie2164

Answer by Leslie2164 at 1:16 AM on Jan. 21, 2010

• Ugh don't do what my uncle did with his kids when they were teens. He had some everclear on hand. Anyway he decided to let them try it (notthing more than a quarter of a shot LOL). When they were done sputtering and choking from the stuff he said "now, that's what most alcohol tastes like.' My cousins didn't even touch alcohol till they were in college...You have to say this, it was effective.

katzmeow726

Answer by katzmeow726 at 2:50 AM on Jan. 21, 2010

• Well good luck with all that. lol really. You all never drank as teens, did you? I did. I got caught ONCE out of what was probably hundreds of time that I drank. If you think you'll know when they are doing it dont give yourself that much credit yet.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:09 AM on Jan. 21, 2010

• Ignore it until it becomes a problem. And when i say problem i mean, they're failing in school, sneaking out, talking back, drinking all the time, that kind of thing. Kids will be kids and you can't keep them from doing everything. If you tell them not to and make a really big deal about it before it gets out of hand they are definitely going to take it to the next level. I'm not promoting buying alcohol for you children or participating in their drinking what so ever. I just don't think that it's appropriate to fly off the handle at your first suspicion.
    mrsjonzy

Answer by mrsjonzy at 3:14 AM on Jan. 21, 2010