my 13 month old wont walk

my 13 month old wont walk what could i do to give her the confidence she needs to go

Julie.P.

Asked by Julie.P. at 12:22 AM on Jan. 21, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Time. Some baby's walk later than others.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:26 AM on Jan. 21, 2010

• The average age for a child to start walking is 14 months. I say just help her by holding her hands or you on one side and a toy on the couch across from you and encourage her to get the toy and come back to mama. Just don't push it and it will happen :) One day, she will be cruising around and you will wonder how it happened....lol
    Psylocke

Answer by Psylocke at 12:28 AM on Jan. 21, 2010

• when she does start walking you won't remember why you wanted her to in the first place! just play with her and encourage her to try a few steps at a time (in order to get a toy or to reach your lap) and just let her come to it in time. Some kids don't start walking until 17 or 18 months, so don't worry too much yet.
    mikesmommy1117

Answer by mikesmommy1117 at 12:35 AM on Jan. 21, 2010

• My little man didn't even try until he was 15months.. he's almost 17months now and is only now getting pretty good at it. I was worried too, but knew he would do it on his own time. As long as your little one is making the developmental milestones (give or take a few months) I don't think there is anything to worry about. My fiance suggested that I force my son to try by leading him by his hands.. even if he went limp and fussed.. I forced him to do it.. once I tried it he laughed and wanted to go faster! Keep encouraging and don't give up! GL!
    alinker

Answer by alinker at 1:20 AM on Jan. 21, 2010

• She's certainly NOT developmentally behind. Give her some time. Walk with her holding your hands and encourage her to cruise along sturdy furniture. She'll get the hand of it soon enough.
    Melissa823

Answer by Melissa823 at 6:51 AM on Jan. 21, 2010

• I wouldnt worry to much my daughter started walking at 12 1/2 mths what we did was have her walk back and forth from her daddy and I and other kids help to my daughter started walking at a friends house her son is 5 mths older then my daughter and he was at the other end of the room and she wanted to play with so she walked all the way across the room then the next day she was walking ever were. just encourage her as much as possible we had my daughter walk back and forth tell she started winning cause she didnt want to do it any more so we didnt force her.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:46 AM on Jan. 21, 2010

• Enjoy it.... once they are walking you'll wish she was siting again. Ours were 11 and 14 months for walking. I also need to impart this advice: buy dental insurance once they walk. If they fall and hurt their teeth and have to have them pulled, it's very expensive w/o insurance. I found it out the hard way.
    lynnard

Answer by lynnard at 12:02 PM on Jan. 21, 2010

• You can buy her some hard bottom shoe from the store that will give here the support she need to walk and the some kids do not stared walk when they are already some walk before there first birthday and some walk after there first birthday like my son he did stare walking to he was 15 month so i under stand but now i wish he did not walk cause he all over the house
    LaSheik

Answer by LaSheik at 12:11 PM on Jan. 21, 2010

• My son didn't start walking until 15 months. One day I looked behind me and he was taking his first steps and he hasn't stopped since!!
    Anonymous

• My daughter is 14 months today and you and I are in the same boat lol. I bought her a lot of those push toys to encourage her what she does is push and crawl lol. My Husband didn't walk until he was 18 months lol so I'm guessing she is going to be eliek her dad.
    cynprz

Answer by cynprz at 1:14 PM on Jan. 21, 2010