If a dog had a broken bone that has since healed, but sensitive still, will that be permanent?

Ok, so I have been looking for a second dog for our little family, and came across an adult dog I'm extremely interested in (he is breathtaking:) ) However, "This poor boy had a very painful broken leg that has since healed. Because he can still be a little sensitive at times about his right rear leg being touched, he’d be best in a home with adults and respectful older children." Below that it says he adores people. My question is: would the sensitivity be permanent, or would it pass in time? Seems like it didn't happen that long ago, so maybe he just remembers the injury?

lilmama2be

Asked by lilmama2be at 12:32 AM on Jan. 21, 2010 in Pets

• I don't think that is something that will fade from memory. I think that they way they've worded it tells you that he may snap if handled incorrectly and you'd be taking your chances taking him into your home if you couldn't make your children understand that his leg is not to be touched and that he needs to be handled carefully because of it. I know people who've broken bones who still experience physical pain from the site as well so...you could maybe talk to a vet?
    Allergic2Stupid

Answer by Allergic2Stupid at 12:48 AM on Jan. 21, 2010

• I will definitely talk to a vet...I am actually waiting to hear back from the guy who is fostering him as he knows him best at this point. Obviously if he snaps if handled incorrectly, it would not be a consideration to bring him into our home. But I figure it is worth at least asking about him. I just wondered if anyone had any experience with this type of injury..?
    lilmama2be

Answer by lilmama2be at 1:12 AM on Jan. 21, 2010

• Large breed dogs with broken bones can develop arthritis. I've got a fur baby who had a car accident at 6 months. He's 10.5 now. He gets slight numbness in his legs at times from having several of his vertebrae cracked. He is an XL dog and has always favored his back legs after hard play (5+ mile hike wearing a pack, 3+ hours swimming etc) . Now that he's old, he likes an aspirin now and then.

The snapping risk is an issue. This dog could have additional health problems they haven't pin pointed yet. If it hurts enough for him to nip to protect himself, something is wrong.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 11:33 AM on Jan. 21, 2010

• Was the break set by a vet or healed on it's own? This is very important as if it healed by itself it might not have healed correctly & needs to be reset. This definitely means a trip to the vet for an evaluation of the leg. You might end up spending a lot of money in vet bills on this dog. If your children are younger than seven I would pass on this dog. There are thousands of gorgeous dogs out there looking for a forever home. Good luck!
    zoolady12

Answer by zoolady12 at 3:25 PM on Jan. 21, 2010

• WELL MY DOG BROKE HER FOOT NOW MIND YOU IT HAS FULLY HEALED BUT THERE ARE DAYS SHE FAVORS IT. OOps sorry about the cap locks. However I broke 3 out of 5 toes on my left foot back in the mid 80s. To this day if I step on them right, the weather changes drastically or I walk alot it sometimes throbs in pain other times it's a little sore.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 6:53 PM on Jan. 21, 2010

• I don't think snapping if handled incorrectly is an issue, otherwise it SHOULD state that he is to go to a home with no children at all. That's usually how they handle dogs that have even the slightest chance of biting a human. At least in my own personal experience.

Yes, it can still be sensitive. My best friend's cat broke his leg when he was a kitten, had a cast and all, and his leg is now fragile and causes some sensitivity now and then. They just have to be careful how they handle him (they can't let him jump from their arms onto the floor..things like that). He's never snapped at anyone who's touched his leg the wrong way...and I find cats waaaay more irritable than dogs :) I think it's a wise decision to talk to his foster home before you decide not to adopt him!
    milfalicious08

Answer by milfalicious08 at 11:38 PM on Jan. 21, 2010

• http://www.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=15333626

This is the link to his page...He just won't get out of my head...I'm waiting for his foster-dad to come back from vacation to see exactly what is up with his leg, and I want to speak with his vet. If he isn't snappy about his leg, there shouldn't be an issue. I spoke with the woman who took the pictures, and she said you couldn't even see a limp unless you knew about the injury, and even then it's hard to tell. All I can do is try right? lol (dont get me wrong mamas...my daughters safety will come first. period. But I don'tknow if it's an issue till I ask)
    lilmama2be

Answer by lilmama2be at 12:44 AM on Jan. 22, 2010