Can anyone show me a link to the laws that boys and girls should not share a bedroom?

I have seen this posted many times. I am pretty sure that in my state it is only for foster children, not biological siblings but yet it is stated quite often here in posts.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:52 AM on Jan. 21, 2010 in General Parenting

• Im interested in seeing a link, too. As times are hard and mine (5 and 7) will soon temporarily. I shared one bedroom with my 2 sibs (older sis and younger bro) way back in the 90s!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:53 AM on Jan. 21, 2010

• ive never heard that....i dont want my son and daughter to share a room -- but that is only because I want to decorate girly and boyish lol...and they have too many things to share a room.
    glamomomo

Answer by glamomomo at 12:59 AM on Jan. 21, 2010

• There's a law?! Never heard of it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:19 AM on Jan. 21, 2010

• I don't know about laws, but I do know that CPS get's bitchy about it. Just recently I heard someone talking about how they're having to move because CPS said her son and daughter need seperate rooms. I also think that section 8 housing and foster care has some srules regarding it too. Or, in the case of a custody battle they courts can rule that they need different rooms, usually by the age of six. While it isn't a law, it is frowned upon by courts and child services, and welfare.
    That said, there may be some counties and cities that have such laws.
    katzmeow726

Answer by katzmeow726 at 3:04 AM on Jan. 21, 2010

• I know times are hard but why would u want your kids to share a room? They need their privacy after a certain age. Kids get curious after a certain age.
    officerdouglas

Answer by officerdouglas at 5:16 AM on Jan. 21, 2010

• I've looked it up and have yet to find any laws that state siblings of the opposite sex can't share a room. Every time it is sited it usually has something to do with foster kids or family services being involved because of abuse/neglect or it has to do with government/private housing.
    My 8yo son and 7yo daughter share a room (my 9yo daughter used to share with them but we had to move her in with her 3yo sister for various reasons). The 2 that still share a room don't have a problem with it. They are very close. We put the 3 older kids together in 2007 when they were 7, almost 6 and almost 5 because my son refused to sleep in his own room anyway. He would sneak out every night and sleep on the floor between his sisters' beds. It made more sense for him to share with them then the baby (a girl) who was still waking up at night to drive me insane. When it becomes an issue we will deal with it then.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 7:57 AM on Jan. 21, 2010

_________________

Can you read? No where did I state that I wanted my kids to share a room. I said TIMES ARE HARD. We are having to move. They will have full bellies, clothing and a roof over their heads.
    Secondly, my children don't spend all day (or night) locked up in their rooms or even the house for that matter. They do not change in front of eachother. They usually only use the room for sleeping.
    Curious? That is life. Kids will always be curious.

The laws in the country are making it to where they control and have dictation over your children and it is a sad thing.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:37 AM on Jan. 21, 2010

• I think it is fine to sleep in the same room.
    Kids sort of need a place of their own to have their stuff arranged. I have lived in pretty small spaces with my 3 kids, and I say it is just fine!
    Lovey1234

Answer by Lovey1234 at 8:59 AM on Jan. 21, 2010

• I think the idea that there is a law about this is more of an urban legend. At least in my province, I asked a friend who works for Child Protective Services about this and here there is no law, though if you're investigated by CPS they may recommend that you move opposite gender kids in to different rooms.

Actually right now my ds and dd share a room- they have bunk beds and dd is on the top bunk and ds is on the bottom bunk. Around that time that she was three, dd was having issues being scared at night and wanted to sleep with her big brother. We do have another girl, but she is not a very sound sleeper and does better in her own room. She disrupts her sister when they share a room. I do plan to eventually have the girls share a room and give my son the smaller room to himself, but at this stage everyone is happy with the sleep arrangements and if they are happy, we are happy!
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 9:46 AM on Jan. 21, 2010

• And for the poster who asked why you would want your kids to share a room- sometimes what you want isn't what you have to work with. I would like for my kids to have an opportunity to have their own rooms, but we have three kids and a three bedroom house. I don't see us moving in the near future (partly financial reasons, partly because we're happy with our neighbourhood, school board, etc.) so at this point, someone HAS to share, whether we want them to or not!
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 9:48 AM on Jan. 21, 2010