How are your children effected by T.V. and NOT using their imagination?

momof3invanc

Asked by momof3invanc at 1:03 AM on Jan. 21, 2010 in General Parenting

• mine do both, they spend equal time watching tv and playing with their toys with the tv off. the tv just gives them something else to look and and talk to besides mommy all day lmao! mine watch a movie in the morning have lunch, play, go out, then watch another movie before dinner and bath. when i had cable they were watching tv and using their imagination at the same time bc most nick jr and pbs kids shows are geared for just that
    secondtyme520

Answer by secondtyme520 at 1:06 AM on Jan. 21, 2010

• My kids watch tv here and there. They have some favorite shows. How are they affected? They will say the spanish word for that is ______, or show me an octagon or something. They use their imagination all the time. My oldest is always in a pirate ship or a rocket ship flying to who knows where.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:06 AM on Jan. 21, 2010

• My child is not one of those children that gets affected by the television. First of all because i'm not a lazy parent and she won't be babysat by the television and she's not old enough to even realize tv yet..
    Jan0609momma

Answer by Jan0609momma at 2:27 AM on Jan. 21, 2010

• My kids do both. My kids have learned spanish and chinese from the tv plus all different shapes. My kids loves noggin and it is educational for preschoolers. When they are done watching tv they will turn off the tv and turn on music and that is when the parties start. The love to use their imagination also. Today my 3 year old was the "monster" and chasing my 4 year old and they had a blast with their imagination.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:32 AM on Jan. 21, 2010

• i let my boys watch tv when they're inside the house.....they're 3 and 5 and their attention spans arent very good....so they'll watch cartoons for a bit...then follow me around the house, then play with their "laptops" and do homework like mommy does.....they've got great imaginations.....perfectly normal boys regardless of tv or not
    LynnB1

Answer by LynnB1 at 2:39 AM on Jan. 21, 2010

• I think tv ( like Noggin and Nick jr.) has helped my daughters imagination expand... She has a great imagination, and comes up with tons of things to do and tons of stories ( she is 3) ...
    glamomomo

Answer by glamomomo at 3:33 AM on Jan. 21, 2010

• affected

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:48 AM on Jan. 21, 2010

• I think it is argued that tv puts the imagine in the childs mind rather than the child creating the image that books and stories would create. I don't really buy into it, but I think that's one of the arguments.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:41 AM on Jan. 21, 2010

• We don't own a TV so my kids have not watched much. They play, do crafts, play outside in the snow, read, practice their instruments and we play games together. I am a hands on mom and once the kids are out of school we are doing something together. They play on their own too they have a huge 900 sqft playroom/craft room. Our neighbors were over for a neighborhood picnic and asked where our TV was. They were shocked when they heard that and a couple have said it is almost child abuse to not buy our kids a TV and video game systems. I find that amusing when their kids at 12 are sitting in front of their house smoking and cursing. Yeah I am an awful mother.lol My kids are in public schools were don't isolate them we just don't watch TV. My kids are not marketed to day in and out and they don't beg for stuff at the store like most kids I see do. They are creative and very imaginative children.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:46 AM on Jan. 21, 2010

• My kids don't watch much tv during the day. At night we might watch something together, but it isn't on all or even most of the time. They have amazing imaginations. If they play a video game they might expand the characters within their playing. But in general they just make up their own stuff. We also just got a Wii, and guess who spends the most time on it - me! I use a workout program, and then the tv and Wii go off.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 10:22 AM on Jan. 21, 2010